I just saw the Netflix Documentary last night. The lack of discernment all the way back throughout all the church history The lack of congruence among the leadership with such a claim as who they say is at the head! I felt like somehow I was responsible for what had happened. Brent was ultimately excommunicated for editing/authoring this book. Examples would be projects at the Serpent Mounds in Ohio, linguists studying things like Native Americans singing in a language that seemed close to Hebrew,archaeological digs in latin America that were obviously BOM related, etc. Part two was chilling as details we have never heard about Mark Hoffman, Steve Christiansen come out. Why have you distanced yourself from actively publishing and engaging topics on forums as you did in years past? Doxey denied asking about Metcalfe. Steve Christiansen was my bishop in that centerville ward and I grew up with his children. This is one of the best MS interviews I have heard so far. Sincerely, Terry. The LDS Church fired Brigham Young University professor David Wright for his contribution to the volume, and excommunicated both Wright and Metcalfe shortly thereafter. I am quite sure, that film is no longer shown. Growing up as a full believer, Brent followed the conventional routine and did the missions, after which he spent a lot of time in the historical archives of the Church, researching documents and working with the security department. Brent did a marvelous job of creating a context by which these events took place. Im curious who is singing Lead Kindly Light in this its beautiful. Let me clarify. So cool that you provided some of the research used by Michael Quinn. You didnt elaborate on that interpretation. Brent provided a detailed account of the Mark Hoffman story with a perspective that we seldom hear. Brent Lee Metcalfe is an independent researcher and writer of the Latter Day Saint Movement. Sorry for my language, Im not a native English speaker and there is a limit to what I can express in English. Brent Metcalf Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images I have one teensy-tiny criticism about Johns sensitivity when someone questioned why Brent did not pursue an advanced degree. Categories . Perhaps it has something to do with the frightening and daunting implications of this inconvenient truth. It is true that Mac Christiansen did pay for Marks sons mission. I just shook my head to hear the tale of the magisterium giving you the boot, Brent. Jerald articulated his concerns in one of his ministrys publications. What an amazing life Brent! and our !Cmoninstead, they were duped arranged for major amounts of $ to buy the letter up,bury it and then lie. For one thing, you were damn good at martial arts. John, you asked for information about any of the Christensens. Today the church has suffered too many blows to its claims of certainty to dare to treat its members the way it treated Brent Metcalfe. His contributions, reflections, thoughts and insights represent some of the most important contributions in the history of not just Mormon Stories, but Mormonism in general. Why didnt the church just pay for their own documents? Mormon scholarship for everyone She spoke of her life and what has happened in the 30 years since one of Utah's most infamous crimes, Thursday October 8, 2015. Im pretty sure I was standing next to Maxine. If the Prophet cant see Hoffman as a fraud, why should anyone assume their Bishop/Stake president has any more ability in terms of divinely inspired discernment? I will start my question with a short story to add some perspective. I have heard that Mac Christianson financed the mission of one of Hofmanns sons. Murder Among The Mormons, Brent Metcalfe Story - YouTube I also appreciate your parting words. [9][10] His father was the managing director of the Temple Department for the LDS Church. During my 7779 mission I served in two London areas, living first in Kilburn Park and later in Wimbledon. Hi Brent, Thank you for your insights and open heart. Brent Metcalf (born July 14, 1986) is an American freestyle wrestler who formerly competed in the international circuit for the United States of America. Reminds me of the Mormon interpretation of Amos 3:7 (Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets). Cultural Context Preceding the Book of Mormon. St. Martins Press. So sorry Maxine! After returning from Iraq after the 2nd deployment as a citizen soldier, I had the same epiphany as Brent; I learned that we are really on our own, there is no God. What academic publications does Mr. Metcalfe have to his name that qualifies him to be called one of the foremost scholars in understanding the Book of Abraham? This theory is now well accepted in academia. During the first part of his interview, usually John will ask a question about gaining a testimony while in the Mormon church or have spiritual experiences and then pairing those experiences with the Mormon narrative. Brent, But Ashment, a fellow member of the church, said he was disgusted with those who publicly protested the church action at a rally for Murphy on Salt Lake City's Main Street plaza Sunday night. Brent Lee Metcalfe's Assumptions and Methodologies Reviewed by William 1. Over the years you just reason, that a faith shouldnt be that complicated. They have shown time and time again that that is all that matters to them. Thank you. I just got done reading the book Mormon murders. Thank You for contributing your experiences with us all I am curious this morning about the possibility of any reports during the time JS says he had his First Vision, that were published in local newspapers, town Crier printings? As I went towards the house, this thought came into my mind, why do I feel so different from what I did a short time past : I am unspeakably happy and shall never see trouble again.. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. And I went through a very long phase of just wishing that I had never been born. location 502, 899, 5027 of 9578, Last edited on 26 December 2022, at 05:30, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "The LDS intellectual community and church leadership: A contemporary chronology", BOOK OF MORMON SCHOLARS UNLEASH SALVO OF BARBS, "MAPPING BOOK OF MORMON HISTORICITY DEBATESPART I", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Brent_Lee_Metcalfe&oldid=1129585083, This page was last edited on 26 December 2022, at 05:30. All this transpired in the 1980s, just around the time Mark Hofmann made his name in the community as a renowned book and document dealer. Do you know if the church took down the names of all the 7th East Press people? On my mission in England I met a older, wise non LDS woman very knowledgeable on esoteric and metaphysics teachings. As a Mormon History and Rare Document Researcher, Brent Metcalfe has unparalleled knowledge of the religion and its connections in Utah. It would yield some satisfaction to me, if my misery can be a cause of happiness to others; but when I came to the place of prayer, had kneeled down, and closed my eyes, with my hands uplifted toward the heavens, I saw Jesus Christ at the right hand of God looking down upon me, and God the Father looking upon him. He also talks about his early forays into Mormon studies. brent metcalfe excommunicated. My question to Brent is during or after authoring/editing New Approaches to the Book Mormon, did he have other or similar spiritual experiences that confirmed the historical facts (which may be viewed as counter experiences to those earlier in the church)? Gary at the time was an up-and-coming star because of his writing skills. Thanks to the both of you! Brent Metcalf in California - Spokeo Brent Metcalfe is definitely one of my favorite interviewees ever on Mormon Stories Podcast. I felt like somehow I was responsible for what had happened. I have heard metaphysics mentioned in one of the interviews (I think it was the one on post declaration polygamy). If Catholicism were ultimately true, for example, then in the final accounting its dogmatic claims would not be hamstringing- they would serve as a clarifying lens through which to analyze historical questions, a lens which helps the believing scholar from wasting his time investigating a false path. brent metcalfe excommunicated - knowthemquicker.com Brent Metcalfe on Hofmann aftermath, his own excommunication - reddit He was enthusiastic about scholars allegedly validating his translations through secular methods (e.g., Charles Anthon on the BoMor characters and Michael Chandlers anonymous scholars on the BoAbr papyri). Brent Metcalfe - Academia.edu It also struck me that Brent in some ways represents the inverse of Sandra Tanner. Brent Metcalfe is definitely one of my favorite interviewees ever on Mormon Stories Podcast. To those people like me, however, who find themselves on the butt end of his speeches, may consider him to come across as aggressive, brash and unsympathetic. Did John take the tapes home to show his wife? It was soul-crushing, Brent said. I was only 8 when Steve died, so I just remember his smiling face and that everyone, especially my parents, just loved him. I wouldnt presume that Brendt is unaware of this and that his worldview does not follow from this hes well read. Why didnt the Lord reveal to the the prophet that Hofmann was going to kill? Definitely one of my top 10 favorite stories on here. How did you encourage this masterpiece which, in my opinion, decimates the churchs past claims on the BofA? Thank you for this very interesting presentation. Released: Sep 13, 2014 Format: Podcast episode For more information, please see our Reply. God-belief has also been attributed partly to our brains evolved hyper-tendency to perceiveagency where none exists. Post-Vatican II a renaissance of sorts occurred in scriptural exegesis (for example, scholars no longer felt compelled to affirm the priority of Matthew and they began reassessing the synoptic gospels and John more critically). We also talk about the concept of translation, Joseph Smiths views on his translations, the traditional apologetic responses concerning the Book of Abraham (Hugh Nibley, John Gee, and Kerry Muhlestein), as well as the LDS Churchs recent essay on the Book of Abraham. ping anser putter 85068 value; italian village commission. Awesome music, right? Part 1 of the interview stuck much closer to home for me. this was fascinating, and I havent got to part 2 yet! Liked by Brent Metcalfe Experience Practice Lead - Mergers and Acquisitions/Investment Group and Consultant Backswath Management Sep 2022 - Present6 months Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Seeking New. Metcalfe is on the editorial board of the John Whitmer Historical Association. Brent Metcalf vs. Lance Palmer: 2010 NCAA title match (149 pounds) but he threw out the baby with the bath water as if the success of Christianity rode on the success of Joseph Smith.. It was so amazing to hear another person explain nearly my identical experience. Yes, because remember that the paradigm speaking through Mikes words is not just representative of him. Thank you for this interview. going back ten+ years when we first interacted online (message boards), but this interview gave me many more insights. The 7th East Press was a gem. News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Herald Thanks again Brent! He did so to prevent members from apostatizing and becoming fundamentalists. The failure of faith concept was very interesting, and I can only say but for the grace of God. Lessons learnt - Blogger If you hadnt been excommunicated would you still be a member today? Are there still more episodes of this series on the way?? I., **My question is if Brent could provide a copy of the parallels between Elias Snow and Joseph Smith that Wilford Paulson (former BYU professor)inserted into the book. All he had to say publicly if there was really no truth in it, was its simply not true and leave it at that. In Part 1, Brent talks about his early days in the Church and his time working for Church security.
Do You Pay Taxes On Permanent Disability, Constraints Vs Restraints Military, Denny's Ranch Dressing Copycat Recipe, Havel Elementary Staff, Muhammad Ali Brother Death, Articles B