For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Lever Action Pump Action Semi-Auto Single Shot . I'm dialing in RL15 and CFE223. cartridge case severely limits how much you can vary bulletseating depth, so I havent done much of it. 4198 works excellent in my son's Savage 10 Varmint .223 bolt rifle. Looking for a 7mm rem mag bolt action or browning blr lever action browning bar.semi auto might be interested in other calibers also. Starting at 20.7g, and going up in .5g i. This is my Varmint load for my VTR-15 RIFLE (22" barrel). Snipers Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy, and ballistics. I have one of the ancient Ohaus Du-o-Measures and while it cuts a kernel here and there, it meters far better than, say 4350. (it's been suggested these are Nosler over-run JSP slugs). I'm not a 223 shooter or owner however, with the two cartridges the 223 more less evolved from, the 222 Rem. 223 Rem 55g Vmax; Varget & IMR 4198 16,412 views Jan 6, 2018 153 Dislike Share 243 Outdoors 8.13K subscribers Testing some 55g V-Max handloads in the 223 Savage Axis. This Extreme series extruded propellant has gone through some changes since its inception while maintaining the identical burning speed of the past. The Remington Model Seven is ready, willing and able to handle just about any task. | With-out-doubt. 0000002396 00000 n Another one is IMR 4198 (21.6gr.) 50 gr. I get excellent accuracy from H-4198 with 52/53 grain match bullets. Thank you again. They typically weighed between 90.5 grains and 92.5 grains and on average held around 30.6 grains of water, measured level with the case mouth. Pet Loads and Handloader are registered trademarks of Wolfe Publishing Company. Sure Shot: The barrel has a 1 in 8 twist. I purchased this powder to reload 45-70 for my sharps rifle, I dont load them to hot as I want something enjoyable to shoot all afternoon target shooting. I have a hand throw Hornady powder measure and it doesn't meter well. Accuracy Load IMR-4198 23.0 3500 1088 Hunting Load H335 29.1 3700 1216. I'm wondering if it would make sense because the cost to shoot is quite a bit less. In my Savage 10FP 1-10" twist my go to load is the 52 gr SMK with 19.8 gr of 4198 . A light roll crimp (achievable using most standard seating dies) is adequate. New H&R Retro lineup from Palmetto State Armory * Shot Show 2023, Road Trip: Marysville, WA 98270 to JBLM (tacoma, WA 98433), Redfield International sight sets with rear base, Kalashnikov USA 12.5" Komrad with Extras (12 Gauge). Buy Powder - IMR 4198 - 1lb: GunBroker is the largest seller of Reloading Supplies Ammunition Reloading All: 973169941. . Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting. Another step Ive found to be necessary when reloading for 223 Rem./5.56mm autoloaders is verifying the headspace. A forum community dedicated to all firearm owners and enthusiasts. 225 V RIFLE RELOADING DATA Your CFE 223 is more efficient for 69 gr. In the years since, twist rates in AR rifles intended primarily for civilian sales have also been offered with 1:8 and 1:9 twist rates, with some specialty rifles featuring a 1:6.5 twist to stabilize match bullets weighing up to 90 grains. You might be able to chamber that round in your bolt gun by forcing the bolt to close, but youll likely jam the action in an AR that the forward assist cant overcome. HVr+S&A(U#`H `hP{z#^\EL9O$$EAL2e|j p,~E3w?#' The accompanying data is intended for .223 Remington chamber dimensions and includes bullet weights ranging from 35 to 75 grains. . 0000012054 00000 n It works good in that straight walled cartridge. Its performance approached the .222 Remington Magnum (center) introduced in 1957. It is a bit too fast for optimum results with heavier bullets. I will try and remember to post the results here in case anyone else was wondering the same thing. One new winner* is announced every week! Ive used 4198 for a few different loads with .223. We believe the 2nd Amendment is best defended through grass-roots organization, education, and advocacy centered around individual gun owners. In checking commercial .223 Remington cases from Federal, Hornady, NoslerCustom, Remington and Winchester, weights varied from 89.5 to just under 95 grains. First powder I used in the .223 and good for making some accurate loads, but maybe a little fast for the cartridge. Can't imagine the 223 would be much different. 4198 with a 55 gr. Constitutional Carry may have a trap built in. You are the only person that can answer your last question. This is a compressed charged (anything over 25gr with 3031 in a 223 Rem case will be a compressed charge) and needs to have a slight crimp in it. You are using an out of date browser. Begin with start loads and work up carefully to maximum powder charges while checking for signs of excess pressure. Reloading 223 Rem./5.56mm is mostly the usual routine. 0000005092 00000 n Dont know about the Canada made or the. My pacific Rifle powder measure'r doesn't seem to mind metering it. I don't remember ever trying a different bullet but I might have. (Arabic) etina (Czech) Dansk (Danish) Deutsch (German) English (English) Espaol (Spanish) All this guy needs for brush hunting deer in Maine ! But than again not knowing what you use for a powder measure'r ? If a magnum primer is used, such as the Federal 205, Remington 7 or CCI 450, it may be necessary to reduce maximum loads, as this small change will increase pressures. I had a 222 and it was.amazing in that cartridge. While select extruded powders are known for top accuracy, many spherical (Ball) versions likewise produce first-rate performance. Hb```"V>M~ 'f 4cT8V_:`TEY eA% 0 $fGNV^fj2aKQ6AwJV0jt[+.7#F]QI',UB/=wQ};.yG44;}!G/2;'PsOsCd.Y+0A0q4Z'sYOa(ZTC|0Yv E\n.iI. with a 55gr. One of my two 30/30 loads is a 118 grain, plain-based RFN over seven grains of Unique, which yields a thousand shots to a pound. I used it to reload 223 in a ar-15 pistol with a 7.5 in barrel this product did exactly what I wanted it to do it was accurate and velocities were right where I wanted them to be 2200 FPS with a 55 gr bullet this may not be rifle velocity you want but it is good in short barrel ar pistols. 0000006710 00000 n IMR-4198 is probably too slow for most uses in the 450b.--Bob. I found it easy to measure and weigh and made for consistent rounds in Mt 38-55. The load data says a min of 18.8 grains up to a maximum of 20.4. Some of the gas is divertedbefore the bullet exits the barrelto actuate a piston, carrier, or operating rod. Savage 10 FCP-K 223 Rem Law Enforcement Bolt Action Rifle. Most success is in bolt guns it seems. Provides very best accuracy in my Cooper 38 in 17 Fireball with 25 grain Berger HP varmint bullets, about 1/2 MOA at 3.600 FPS. This fast-burning rifle powder gives outstanding performance in cartridges like the 222 Remington, 221 Fireball, 45-70, and 450 Marlin. We need to get one thing straight. Using this powder with .223 caliber has yielded great results. Examples include the Hornady 53- grain V-MAX with a G1 BC of .290, the Nosler 55-grain Ballistic Tip (.267 BC) and Sierra 55-grain BlitzKing (.271 BC). MSDS Start low and work up as always. I don't have a lot to add, was hoping others might chime in first. Happy to find it in stock! Wilson Combat Paul Howe Tactical 6.5 Creedmoor: Full Review of the Versatility Champ, Sweet Scents of Gun Solvents and Oils: 12 Perfumes for Firearms, 10 Great .22 Mag Bolt-Action Rifles Right Now, Ruger No. All Rights Reserved. I haven't chronograph-ed the the load but out of my Remington 700 Varmitter, it's a shooter. With an Accu-Fit stock and left hand adjustable bolt, this rifle is a perfect choice for anyone! Best accuracy has been found at approximately 1/2 grain under published maximum. I had some, didn't like it. Still under powered when compared to Nato ammo. of IMR-4198. Although the .223 Remington is often considered inadequate for deer-sized game, when loaded with a bullet designed for the task, it will kill deer reliably. I worked up to this charge as should you! 0000014422 00000 n Going by the book today. We recommend upgrading your current browser or. Some of his best results were with handloads measuring up to 2.320 inches. Select data that corresponds with a rifles twist rate to achieve top performance. Play with it, you might find that magical combination. It worked great in my AR pistol but for the life of me I could not get it to cycle my rifle length gas system 18 AR rifle. As a result, firing 5.56 NATO ammunition in a rifle with a .223 chamber can result in excessively high pressures and is generally not recommended; however, .223 ammunition can be fired in a 5.56 chamber without issues. q:1XQ ZrQ>j?d-pT2G7ZAk^`pl7S|lMaMT/yF"$A@M)Di*9~b4' None of the cartridges in the accompanying data were crimped, as they were fed and fired in single-shot mode. If just a pound , I'd give up on it and just get some H-335 and never look back . Probably one of the best powders for use in 556 and 76239, very satisfied with my purchase. Shoots great in 3 different bolt rifles. lol. and 222 Rem. USE THIS DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK. All RifleShooter subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. Doing some load development for the Savage Axis 223. First, almost all military and some commercial rounds have crimped-in primers. Used to be when you asked about choosing a powder there was one answer. of IMR4198 and 52gr bullets. 3298 do you have a reloading book? 0000001721 00000 n Some swage, while others cut the pocket rim material out of the way. The case was based on a lengthened .222 Remington that offered powder capacity and velocity increases. The H4198 load produced exceptionally light recoil but it still managed to cycle the bolt and strip another cartridge for every successive shot. Does not meter well from my XL650, but I check every charge by hand anyway. This fast burning rifle powder gives outstanding performance in cartridges like the 222 Remington, 221 Fireball, 45-70, and 450 Marlin. Auburn, WA - Man who tried to steal running car shot by homeowner. Its still a port pressure problem. RifleShooter Magazine editor Scott Rupp breaks down all the features of the Mossberg Patriot Predator rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC. I keep my muzzle velocity down around 1282 FPS. This has shot one hole groups for years. I am using a 55 grain Hornady FMJ bullet with Sellier and Bellot small rifle primers. Using bullets from Nosler BT LF, Barnes VG FB, Nosler BT, SinterFire, Sierra SP, Speer SP, Sierra HP, Barnes TSX FB, Hornady FMJ, Hornady V-Max, Swift Scirocco, Sierra HPBT, JLK VLD, Sierra MK, Berger BT Targ. A Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter Max .223 Remington was used to develop the accompanying load data. I believe, I am what is keeping it from its full potential. In spite of the .223 Remingtons name, standard bullet diameter is .224-inch. I do use IMR 4198, but in 45-70 gov't. CAN. many years ago long before I had any interest in AR-15s, has reams of 223 Rem. . Brand: Savage. It gives good results with good economy, but does not meter so well. Varmint shooters with small-bore cartridges love it. I've been having excellent results with some very old IMR 4198 and Nosler 40 grain Ballistic tip bullets in my 11.5" SBR. It was in the Hornady manual and the power was available so I picked it up. You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers. To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. Google" port pressure ar15" Location and size of the port has a direct effect. To show viewers how to succeed at long range, J. Guthrie gears up for a challenging shot while chasing Colorado pronghorn at long range with DPMS' Panther 6.5 Creedmoor. Trying out Varget and. Next, remove the residual rim of brass around the pocket. Never used it, don't know much about it. Have not got a chance to shoot this powder yet but I do have a bunch of charges weighed up and I must say while weighting it out the consistency of the powder looks great. The bolt-action design affords the handloader a bit more latitude in powder selection than a gas-operated system. Thats not the case when firing an AR. This combination has proven to be very good from a number of rifles, not only mine. Imr. I got a 8 pound key of 4198 for my wifes bolt action 223. Single-metal bullets. Varmint shooters with small-bore cartridges love it. I use 4198 and find it to be a reasonable powder for my application of it in the 55 gr. Good luck and best wishes. I use a lot of Varget in my WW2 era bolt rifles, have been going to work up a load using it in 223. 0000001288 00000 n __________________ External specifications of the two cartridges are identical and can be handloaded with the same dies; however, the 5.56 pressures are measured 1mm forward of the case mouth rather than on the case body. 0000001080 00000 n Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! Were I to acquire a 223 I'd start with IMR-4198.and probably never have to look back. Sign up to get updates and access to exclusive promotions. Back then a 55gr bullet was a heavy bullet in the 223 and about all I used Seem's factory barrels came with 1-9 twist's said to best balance that heavy bullet. IMR 4198 - This fast burning rifle powder gives outstanding performance in cartridges like the .222 Remington, .221 Fireball, .45-70, and .450 Marlin. Current Oregon State Police Background Check Queue Status As Countdown To Measure 114 Vote Approaches. Hodgdon offers more than a dozen different propellants for reloading 223/5.56 ammo. I highly recommend this powder and fully recommend this company. Powered by UBB.threads PHP Forum Software 7.7.5. 21.8 grs 3,000 ft/sec in 11.5" BCM 1 in 7 CL, 22.1 grs 3,397 ft/sec in 18" Rock Creek 1 in 8 melonited fired suppressed. Accurate Arms 2230 would be my preferred for those quick moving gas operated AR bolts shooting a 55 gr bullet seated in Federal brass. Some report that it takes maximum charges to make their AR's extract and pick up the next round from the magazine. I've never used any of the H powders (4198,4831, etc) just to keep the number of variables down. Trade only. IMR 4198 and H4198 are two of the go to powders, for years, in the 222 bench crowd. I've only used it on 40 and 50 grain bullets but nothing heavier than that. I don't recall any data using I-4198. Do that by experimenting. I think this is an excellent powder and will continue to use it for my 45-70 reloading. 275 grain bullet with 78 grains of IMR 4198 300 grain bullet with 75 grains of IMR 4198 There is the new, commercial IMR 8208 XBR which is a wonderful powder for .223, also H-322. I'm not a 223 shooter or owner however, with the two cartridges the 223 more less evolved from, the 222 Rem. Wife said I had enough bullets, I don't understand! xHXY%p m^_l +me} C'~af,[sgP Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. I have had better results with, well, everything else. Powders include IMR If youre not shooting a single-shot rifle, the length of the magazine box may dicatate the maximum COL possible. 5 IMR 4198. %PDF-1.4 % Copyright 1996-2023 AR15.COM LLC. One sighter shot, then 5 shots for group. If ammunition is to be used in extremely cold temperatures, a magnum primer is suggested, especially when using spherical powders. The maxorder quantity of any powder SKU is, https://shop.hodgdon.com/sites/www/files/2022-04/2022-IMR%20Single%20Base%20SDS. But maybe there other members who disagree. Used to be very popular in .221 FB, .222, and .223. Right now I'm liking 24.5gr of RL15. Burn rates range from IMR 4198 (fastest) to CFE 223 (slowest). . Development of the .223 Remington began in 1957, and it became commercially available in January 1964, about a month prior to U.S. military adoption of its twin cartridge Cartridge, 5.56mm Ball, M193 for the AR-15/M16 rifle. Sierra flat base over either 19.7 or 20 grs. CFE 223. vMax shoot great in my Savage 110. 0000001309 00000 n I am about done with a pound container of 4198 for the 223. IMR4198 or H-4198 8208 is also good.. at or near max loads. riflesa CZ 527 bolt action and a Sun Devil SD-15 autoloaderto use for this report, and I built a lot of handloads to shoot in both guns. Remember, I am talking about bolt rifles. I ended up giving 7.5 pounds to a friend. Powder For Sale Northern Indiana (South Bend area). They withstood many reloadings without failure. I load 223 in my ar with either cfe 223 for the fmj loads and blc(2) for my varmint and sp loads. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Extremely versatile powder . I tried some 4198 and can shoot clover leafs at 50 yards (with XS sights even !) Seem's I did try lighter bullet's but ended up with the 55gr bullet's. Very few AR15's will cycle with H4198 but a few reportedly do. One thing I will say is that I had someone try to reload 223 in my press one time that had been shot through a suppressed AR and even after sizing/depriming the case would spring back into a larger shape and would end up not chambering. New Hornady cases were used exclusively here and were uniform in weight, length, flash hole size, etc. I haven't had any problems what so ever with it. If you wanted a longer range varmint load use the 53 V-max and 8208. CT Nosler RN generates around 3400 ft.lbs. ONE IS JESUS CHRIST, FOR YOUR SOUL, AND THE OTHER IS THE AMERICAN SOLDIER, FOR YOUR FREEDOM. February 24, 2022 armstrong siddeley cars for sale armstrong siddeley cars for sale The .223 Remington (right) was based on the .222 Remington case (left). You wont be able to reprime without damaging the primer or maybe even setting one off if you get frustrated and try to force it into an obstructed pocket. Mediocre accuracy and velocity combined with lousy metering in the powder measure. For example, most bullet manufacturers offer highly frangible varmint bullets that give near-explosive results on thin-skinned pests such as ground squirrels and prairie dogs. Let me ask you this. This powder works great for my 45/70 gov, loads. I would consult your Hornady manual and the IMR reloading database on their website and compare the load data, and use the loads listed for 55gr .223 for all of your brass. It should be good for bullets up to at least 75 grains. I've always used both 4895 powders for my military bolt guns, but have heard it gives good results in the 223/5.56 caliber. I have on hand a few pounds of IMR 4198 that I normally use in my 6.8, and was looking into loading some 55 grain 223 rounds with it. waterfwlr Apr 30, 2015 #15 Clearly, barrel twist rate and chamber throat dimensions do affect accuracy. Rick, Your 24.7gr of H4198 with the 39 & 40 is 2.2 gr more powder than Hodgdon recommends for the 33gr bullet. I found the IMR 4198 powder is the most accurate powder for my 7.62 x 39 loads. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. It was very clean burning and did not gunk up the gas tube, leading to the original reputation that the rifle was extremely reliable and really didn't need cleaning. 1, (4) Ruger M77 MKII All-Weather, (5) Mossberg MVP and (5) Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. When loading for a 5.56 NATO-chambered AR, the COL is restricted to 2.260 inches. Is there any milsurp IMR8208 around anymore? 4198 is a fast burning powder, and you will get piston "short stroking" in an AR which will cause FTF issues. Examples include Ramshot TAC (left) and Accurate 2015 (right). Mag, IMR-4198 was pretty much the go to powder for a couple decades. IMR-8208 XBR yields excellent accuracy with 69s or 77s. There is a big difference between a 20-24" bolt gun and a 16" carbine. The Sierra data seems more on line with what I have seen elsewhere, so I will start with their min. My barrel is a 1:8 twist though so I switched to a heavier bullet to tighten the groups. Depending on the pressure curve generated when firing a round, an AR may or may not function satisfactorily. H322 does ok with Nosler 40 grain BT's but runs just over an inch. Try this? The most accurate load I use for both of my bolt rifles (1/12 & 1/9 twist) is 20-21gr. I started using IMR 4198 to I worked up a load too 21.5grs with 55gr bullets with a AOL of 2.250.
Jungkook Cousin Sister Name, Articles I