Glass tiles are unique products and may require special consideration. Send us an email: , construction-most-common-waterproofing-mistakes, Using a Prefabricated Shower Tray and Ramp, SchluterKERDI was evaluated by ICC-ES - ESR-2467, Schluter-DITRA was evaluated by ICC-ES - ESR-2467, Schluter-KERDI is listed by ICC-ES - PMG-1204, Schluter-KERDI-DS is listed by ICC-ES - PMG-1204, Schluter-KERDI-DRAIN is listed by ICC-ES - PMG-1204, Schluter Systems holds a Los Angeles Research Report (LARR) for Kerdi - File M-100022, Schluter Systems holds a Los Angeles Research Report (LARR) for Kerdi-Drain - File M-100023, Sheet-appliedpolyethylene waterproofing membrane and vapor retarder, Eliminates water damage which can lead to mold and mildew, Features a modified polyethylene (PEVA) core with non-woven polypropyleneon both sides, Features an anchoring fleece on both sides to anchor the membrane in thin-set mortar, Ideal for waterproofing in conjunction with tiled surfaces on walls and floors, KERDI is 8-mil-thick and guarantees uniform thickness, The 6 7 (2-meter) wide roll covers wall area from floor to standard shower head height for fewer seams and a faster installation. No. If you use both Kerdi board and drywall, the part with the latter material wont be heavily exposed to moisture. BTW.the best investment I made for tiling was a suction cup. You will have successfully created the perfect transition from Kerdi board to drywall. Find some existing tutorials and project documentation videos to learn how-to get the best out of our products - for more fun in your life, start now! How did you end up handling the outside corner? One of the challenges you may face when creating a smooth transition from Kerdi board to drywall is when there is no stud behind it. Open-ended partition walls can be further stabilized with the corresponding KERDI-BOARD-ZA/-ZB U-shaped profiles. But it generally has to be installed under tile. I had been planning on doing the same thing you mentioned as your original plan early on in this thread. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. o_O Eventual floorplan will look something like this, with the chimney demolished and replaced with a pipe flue and the original entry repurposed back to a foyer again. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. Corner bead consists of narrow paper flanges attached to an L-shaped metal bead. First Kerdi can be installed on drywall or cement board. The wall between the original cottage and the 20'x20' addition was knocked out in the name of "open concept" somewhere 20-25 years ago, because the previous owners (not the previous-previous owners who built the addition) were deeply stupid. Not sure if you're in the PA/DE area but I opened an account with them and paid $5.99/sqft instead of the advertised price. For inside and outside corners, adhere pre-formed KERDI-KERECK-F corners. For finishing inside corners, consider using prefabricated corner bead. @thisisnotadrill Sorry, hope this time it works. Better yet is to hone your skills so you apply just the right amount of mud reducing the amount of sanding necessary. Not sure what to do for the ceiling since there won't be any tile. Large format (any edge over 15") will not matter as the mortar setting bed will be thick enough. When you visit the site, Dotdash Meredith and its partners may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. Kit includes: 8-1/2 in. I'm putting kerdi board up on a shower stall and because of stud spacing, I had to go with a thicker board than the typical 1/2-in most installs use. Butthey extended the cold water line to the toilet so I need to do some rerouting of that water line down below the subfloor and then back up to the original supply location. After all, they are all built differently. The mortar must bond to the substrate and mechanically anchor the fleece on the KERDI-BOARD surface.3. As you can see from the guide above, its a straightforward procedure, and you dont need any unique tools or equipment. How do I connect Schluter-KERDI-BOARD to a bathtub? Insert the niche and fasten to the studs using wood or metal screws, placing the fasteners approximately 1/4" (6 mm) from the edges of the niche. Air bubbles must be avoided. all good? Please refer to the Schluter-Shower System Installation Handbook How long do I have to wait before I can install tile on the Schluter-KERDI membrane? 3. DIYers often have trouble applying just enough mud when taping, and over-application makes it necessary to do a considerable amount of sanding to get the joints perfectly smooth. You basically want to create a dam so that water does not continue under the glass via grout and mortar. $15.40. With a 6-inch taping knife, apply a smooth, thin layer of mud over the joint. I just need to install the vanity, do some caulking and it's done. In general, it is recommended that the tile be at least 5/16" (8 mm) -thick and extend approximately 1-1/2" (38 mm) beyond the fixture hardware on all sides. Cut and remove the KERDI-BOARD such that the niche will be supported on both sides by the studs or other wall framing. The excess weight of the door can make it weaker. 3. Its a walk in neo angle job, no door, just a curb to step over. 4. Seams can be constructed by overlapping the edges of the KERDI 2" (5 cm) using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar, or by abutting the edges and covering the joint with KERDI-BAND using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar. There are two methods to seal KERDI to a bathtub. Drywall comes up to the outside corner, and overlaps the raw kerdi edge. However if installed on drywall it is only protecting one side. Houzz Call: Show Us Your Hardworking Studio! It could be notched to eliminate any build up due to corner bead. This may be ensured by making holes in the KERDI-BOARD at the desired fastener locations prior to applying mortar spots. No, the KERDI membrane does not have a front/back to it. Once dry, give the surface another light sanding. The gridlines, which are printed on the surface, are helpful for neat and quick cuts and installation. "thanks in advance :-) I know so little about this stuff, but when I watch videos (made by schluter-kerdi) everything looks so tidy and perfect - maybe that's not realistic'''" - Lisa Jasper It should look better than that and it's hard to tell but the wall stud spacing looks extreme and more than 16" I could not see if the screw heads where covered in the photos and in the one picture you can see that the screw and washer fitting where not covered. Your last post has me a little concerned about moisture traveling from the top of the pony wall, down the outside, which would obviously be very bad. Connections between the niche and walls are made using KERDI membrane, applied with Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar (mixed to a fairly fluid consistency, yet still able to hold a notch). Waited a few minutes and pulled the tape and it was damn near perfect. 7. Yup I just put the schluter profile right on the edge of the kerdi board. What sort of strategies would a medieval military use against a fantasy giant? Here's a pic of the kerdi shower. Honestly, most pros leave this out. Normally I would have put in a metal corner trim but needs to go behind the tile. How do I know if the thin-set mortar is modified or unmodified? When fitting the Kerdi board, you must have cut and removed some parts of the drywall. Being sure to seal ends. Tile will go right to that. When the process is done correctly, the wall surface will be perfectly smooth, the joints will be invisible to the naked eye, and the finished drywall surface will be ready for paint or a textured finish. Once you install KERDI over the drywall panels, they will be completely protected from the water and vapor in your tiled shower. I appreciate long winded as it makes more sense. @thisisnotadrill could you post that picture please. Many pros, however, feel that paper tape creates a joint that is less likely to crack and show through after painting. Charlie, I would still install cornerbead first to reinforce the corner. I actually used pieces of leftover KERDI-BOARD in this project. I've got plenty of extra drywall so that won't be an issue. If you must tape Schluter-KERDI over Solid Backing for Walls, Scott McGillivray on Waterproofing Principles using Schluter-Systems, How to Waterproof Connections to Fixed Building Elements. Similar to placing a sponge in water. How to join seams between hardiebacker and drywall in a corner? You will have to be very careful when applying drywall mud to a transition located in a corner because any buildup can be challenging to smoothen out once you are done. I am all ears though. Cut KERDI to size prior to application. The best place to do that would be on the Kerdi Board. Yes uphill also. Work the KERDI into the mortar by applying pressure to the membrane with the flat side of the trowel (held at an angle) in smooth, diagonal sweeps. The tiles can be installed using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar once the bonding materials used to construct the partition have cured sufficiently to stabilize the assembly. Larry.. Cut and remove the wallboard such that the niche will be supported on both sides by the studs or other wall framing. Spread the drywall mud evenly until its smooth. I'm not sure. There's maybe a 1/4" of painted wall that rounds the corner before it meets up with the schluter edge. Our thought is the transition to Kerdi board will be outside the shower door and we can get away with less than 2" of Kerdi band overlap. Tape or corner bead where Hardi meets Drywall? The KERDI-BAND must overlap panel joints by at least 2" (50 mm). The tiles can be installed immediately using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar. The walls were easier because I had tile wrapping around the corner so I just taped and thinset those and tiled overtop. KERDI features a modified polyethylene (PEVA) core with non-woven polypropylene on both sides to anchor the membrane in the thin-set mortar. 3. But I can't picture how that would look.or how I would keep all the mud off the painters tape, especially when I pull it off if the compound had dried. Its possible because the Kerdi board can be installed over drywall. View Full Version : Kerdi board / Drywall outside corner. If you are using paper tape, it must be embedded in a layer of compound, and thus the process takes slightly longer than with fiberglass tape. You have worked with Kerdi board and are fully aware how rigid it is NOT. Some professionals omit sanding entirely, simply using a wallboard knife to knock down raised areas of the dried compound. It is best to use a hand sanding block; do not use a power sander on drywall. 1/4" in from the outside edge. After I had finished with the tile, I taped the joint and applied joint compound over the backer board and it seems great. Exceptions include curved wall areas and non-bearing What is the R-value for Schluter-KERDI-BOARD? Can Martian regolith be easily melted with microwaves? Step 1: Cover the Seam Between Kerdi Board and Drywall Before you even create a seamless transition between these two materials, you must cover the seam. https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Profiles/Movement-Joint-Profiles/Perimeter-Joints/Schluter%C2%AE-DILEX-BWA/p/DILEX_BWA. Schluter KERDI Outside Corner - 2 Units Brand: Schluter Systems 294 ratings $1540 Get Fast, Free Shipping with Amazon Prime FREE Returns Available at a lower price from other sellers that may not offer free Prime shipping. To avoid any risk of damage, keep the door a few inches from the transition. Purple is the best option to use if your drywall is going to be in contact with water. This is where the glass will be installed. The tile edges will be finished with bullnose/chair rail. I accidentally poked a hole through the Schluter-KERDI while installing the membrane. Schluter pan is cut and going in soon. As an alternative to KERDISEAL- PS/-MV, KERDI-FIX or other suitable sealant can be used to seal pipe protrusions and protect moisturesensitive solid backing panels at the mixing valve. Then, after a light final sanding, your wall will be ready for primer or texture prior to painting. We Want to See It! But wouldn't you want a corner bead there to protect that corner? That would by far be the easiest/best looking way of doing it. I love the tile choices. Note: Water testing of the assembly Howarda. The type of bonding mortar used to apply KERDI must be suitable for the substrate and must penetrate and engage the membrane fleece What type of thin-set mortar should I use when installing ceramic and stone tile over Schluter-KERDI? I expect that you will install glass panels. It only takes a minute to sign up. Schluter KERDI Outside Corner - 2 Units. Following the process you used for either paper or fiberglass tape, finish the inside corners where walls meet. Thanks for contributing an answer to Home Improvement Stack Exchange! If you have a pic I'd love to see it. I even rewatched some last night and none of them do it. Fastener locations must coincide with mortar spots. Apply the panels to the wall and firmly press them in place to ensure full coverage. But with wet sanders, it can be quite hard to get perfectly smooth seams without waves and without dissolving and removing too much of the dried mud. Depending on which type of purple drywall you choose, a 4- by 8-foot panel typically costs between $15 and $60 (high-impact and sound-breaking options are available). Great work, I hope you're proud of it! is the contractor creating a waterproof schluter-kerdi shower? If you had tiled over it, water could leak past the Kerdi board, and your waterproofing attempts would have been futile. Thanks for the explanation. I am removing a jacuzzi tub and tiled surround. looking great! As an alternative, the KERDI-BOARD-ZW angle profile or KERDI-BOARD-ZB U-shaped profile may be screw-mounted to the wall prior to partition installation. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. I was going for a marble slab look and that was the best way to go about it. Generally, Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar is used. Find the website that's made specifically for you. You can even paint over it. .read more Show Product Table Waterproofing Again, this must be evaluated in accordance with the building specifications. The process is often known in the building trades as taping and mudding. Take modern bathrooms, for example. By Tom O'Brien Issue 168 Finishing drywall with joint compound can be a tricky art to master. Finishing drywall is not a hard process for experienced drywallers, but for DIYers it can be tricky to get it right. Maybe I'm over thinking this and I can just use a corner bead with thinset and move on? Choose a notched trowel to match the tile format, and back-butter the tiles, if necessary, to attain full coverage. It would be best if you start a new thread. The thin-set mortar used for bonding KERDI must be appropriate for the substrate, and it must penetrate and engage the KERDI fleece. Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board > Kerdi board / Drywall outside corner. Position KERDI-BOARD on the framing and press a washer into the board every 12 inches up the stud location. Screws may be placed between adjacent panels such that the washers fasten both panel edges. Schluter-KERDI-BOARD is adhered to the permanent wall in such a way as to provide lateral stability. Factory welded corners come with 8" legs in each direction, however, custom leg lengths can be ordered. The Kerdi band is the preferred tape in this scenario because it is waterproof. You can see it in the second two photos the most clearly. Prefabricated corners are factory mitered and then welded together to prevent separation during the installation of the edge trim. But overall I like it. Few grout lines was another reason. Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. Im installing Schluter-KERDI over drywall in my shower. When fitting the Kerdi board, you must have cut and removed some parts of the drywall. Maybe it won't be noticeable. With heavy coats, this can require overnight drying, but with light coats in arid weather conditions, drying may take just an hour or so. What I'm specifically asking for in this case is how to finish the top outside corner where drywall meets CBU (the area where there isn't any tile). Plus no sales tax. However, when exposed to moisture, it wont stand a chance. 12" (30 cm). it looks fine! Use the widest drywall knife trowel you have to apply this coat. For complete installation guidelines and warranty criteria for KERDI in showers, steam showers, and bathtub surrounds or KERDI-DS in steam rooms , please download the Schluter- Systems Shower System Installation Handbook and view the installation videos available below. Not sure in what context of a bathroom capillary break applies. Waterproofing strip seals abutting joints of membranes and building panels, Waterproof, multifunctional tile substrate and building panel, Point drain with integrated bonding flange, Bonded waterproofing and vapor-retardant membrane, Single-component sealing and bonding compound, Contact us: 888-472-4588 Once the countertop is tiled and grouted, holes may be drilled through the assembly to fit the fixture-mounting studs. The shower niche features a 1/2" (12.5 mm) -thick by 2" (50 mm) -wide integrated bonding flange and is available in 12" x 6" (30 x 15 cm), 12" x 12" (30 x 30 cm), 12" x 20" (30 x 51 cm), and 12" x 28" (30 x 71 cm) sizes. How to Fill Gaps Between Hardibacker and Drywall? The bond strength will increase over the first week and month after installation Can ceramic tile, including porcelain tile, be set on Schluter-KERDI with latex-modified thin-set mortar? @thisisnotadrill i am about 3/4 through demo. What's frustrating is I've watched no less than 20 videos on curbless shower and not once have I heard the term capillary break been brought up. If there are any spots with torn paperon the drywall cut them off with a razor or other sharp tool. So it appears I can use a schluter product as you mentioned or perhaps a bead of silicone in that break? Next, scoop some mud into a compound tray. What I would be most scared off is the fact that no inside or outside corners appear to have been used. We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. Apply a corresponding piece of ceramic tile with thin-set mortar in the resulting space flush with the surface of the KERDI-BOARD. Thanks in advance for lending your expertise. Customers also search. Drywall is a very easy material to install, and most of the challenge lies in finishing itcovering the seams between panels with paper or fiberglass tape and then finishing the seams and the screw or nail holes with drywall taping compound to hide them. No. Separate KERDI-BOARD above the existing movement joints and structural joints and cover the joints with Schluter-KERDI-FLEX using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar, ensuring a minimum 2" (50 mm) overlap.Fastener penetrations may be sealed with KERDI-BAND using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. I took like 2 months off over the summer and didn't even step in there as was on vacation/fishing/traveling. Here's a link to the tile I got. For most installations of KERDI-BOARD, tile can be installed right away. Step 3: Fit the Kerdi Band Tape on the Transition. Do I need to tape the joints between panels before installing the KERDI? The kit includes Kerdi-Board panels, Kerdi waterproofing band, pipe seal, mixing valve seal, screws and washers, and Kerdi-Fix sealant. What can a lawyer do if the client wants him to be acquitted of everything despite serious evidence? If you plan on finishing the crack, tape and mud it like any other sheetrock joint, and bring your tile as close as possible to that seam. The shower ceiling is hardibacker and the wall outside the shower is drywall. Why is it so easy to peel it off the wall today? 1. Please refer to the Schluter-Shower System How long do I have to wait before I can install tile on Schluter-KERDI-BOARD? Tiles can be installed directly over KERDI-BOARD using the thin-set method. Part of the taping and mudding process includes sanding the dried compound (mud) to smooth the edges, For skilled professionals, sanding is minimal, but DIYers may find that sanding is surprisingly complicated and messy. When assembling material for creating this transition, make sure that you use the Kerdi band. when that is installed I will finish mud that bit of exposed drywall on the other edge and feather it right into the door casing. Waterproofing Strip: Kerdi board to drywall dilemma Kevin Mattison last year I'm installing kerdi board into a shower and am finding that the only way to properly square up the corners would be to extend the kerdi board out it's half inch width past the drywall in the rest of the bathroom.
Colirio De Apraclonidina Para Botox, Iah Terminal A Passenger Pickup, Judy Farrell Obituary, What Chakra Is Watermelon Good For, What Does P Span Mean On Canvas, Articles K