You can take a scenic drive through the park or hike one of the many trails. Even short hikes through the park can be a challenging exertion and sturdy shoes are a necessity. With four to five national park stops, a visit to Bears Ears National Monument, and endless opportunities for adventure, this Utah road trip from Salt Lake City to Moab is a definite bucket list experience. The quickest way back is directly up State Route 61-North. Exploring Hells Revenge is at the top of everyones list when visiting Moab. In the morning, check out the. Today, they are worn down, sun-bleached, and illegible. 2023 Simple Rent Car. Drive back via Ashley National Forest. Photos: The Narrows in Zion National Park Frances Gunn/Unsplash; Bryce Canyon National Park Photo by Edgar Chaparro/Unsplash; Camping near Moab Photo by Ben Duchac/Unsplash; Arches National Park Shutterstock; Cataract Canyon rafting trip James Kaiser. It takes about four hours to drive from Salt Lake City to Moab, or flights from Salt Lake City International Airport are available most days and only take about an hour. The quickest way to get from Salt Lake City to Moab is via I-15 S and US-6 E/US-191 S. The route takes you through some breathtaking scenery, including the Wasatch Mountains, which are part of the Rocky Mountains. There are lots of fun things to do in Salt Lake City, along with lots of great kids activities. The influence of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can be spotted across the entire state, but tucked in Spanish Fork Valley, about an hour south of Salt Lake City, is the Hindu Sri Sri Radha Krishna Temple. Another option is to take a shuttle service, such as Moab Express or Road Runner Shuttle, which offer door-to-door service from Salt Lake City to Moab. The Salt Lake Express is a shuttle service that runs a route to Moab twice daily. Hike the famous. Other popular stops include Utah Olympic Park, Salt Lake Utah Temple, and Loveland Living Planet Aquarium. Outdoorsy is a peer-to-peer RV rental company with 40,000 vehicles listed. If you have the time, a 4- or 6-day Cataract Canyon rafting trip will give you the ultimate taste of red rock country. However, most visitors flock to the beautiful and unique red rock landscapes of Southern Utah. When you think of Moab you may think of hiking the Delicate Arch Trail, gazing over Canyonlands National Park or four wheeling down a slickrock trail. The penne di caprino with goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and artichoke hearts on a bed of penne is heavenly. is a lovely four-mile tour of the parks backcountry. We have some great articles on the best hikes in Moab as well as many of the off-road trails. Clear Sky. : Guided horseback tours into the canyon are very popular and are less strenuous than hiking the Canyon. While the amphitheater doesn't have a website, I did find its Facebook page, where upcoming events are listed and shared. stay at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel. For $10, I loaded up on palak panir, Matar paneer, curried cauliflower, and salad. Summer rates are reasonable, and potential activities are plentiful. WATCH: The Differences Between Salt Lake City & Denver. The drive from Salt Lake City to Moab is not scary. Take detours through national forests like Mt. to get a sense of the park. Rental Car Age Requirements & Restrictions, Denver to Durango, Colorado Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, How Old Do You Have to Be to Rent a Car in Arizona, How Old Do You Have To Be To Rent A Car In Canada, How old do you have to be to rent a car in Colorado, How Old Do You Have To Be To Rent A Car In Florida, How Old Do You Have to Be to Rent a Car in Hawaii, How Old Do You Have to Be to Rent a Car in Illinois, How Old Do You Have To Be To Rent A Car In Italy, How Old Do You Have to Be to Rent a Car in Oregon, How Old Do You Have to Be to Rent a Car in Texas, How Old Do You Have To Be To Rent A Car In Washington. Follow US-89 for 43 miles, hang a right onto UT-12 (13 miles), and take another right onto US-63 south, which brings you into the park. I spotted bed and breakfasts that look like Swiss-style chateaus and chalets, and across town, I discovered Swiss-influenced architecture with gabled roofs and ornate, overhanging eaves. As I explored Iosepa I was amazed by the settler's resilience. One of the best things to do when traveling to Moab is to visit Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. I thought the views at Canyonlands alone were worthy of a stop in Utah. These ancient beasts left copious footprints and fossil evidence that will amaze you and peak your imagination. With the Colorado and Green Rivers flowing nearby, theres no better place on the planet to start a river trip than Moab. You would fly out of Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC) to Canyonlands Field Airport (CNY), which is located 18 miles north of Moab. Plus, a soda never cost me more than $3.14. Top it all off with the crme brle for a truly decadent dinner. My sweetheart and I are going to SLC 3/14-3/21. Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. Its a must-see for the wonderfulif rather brasharchitecture alone. : Once youre finished with dinner, see if you can catch a film at the Redwood Drive-In movie theater over in West Valley City. This is a short drive from the airport, and if you have the extra time, it is totally worth it. Drop off your camping gear, then head into the park to hike to the Emerald Pools or, if youve left most of the day, the classic (and seriously exposed) Angels Landing, which is not for the faint of heart. As your road trip progresses further south through Utah, you will come upon a number of towns, including Provo, Spanish Fork, Heber, Price, Green River, and Thompson Springs. It features 10 revolving exhibits, each delving into the culture, history, and geography of Utah and The Great Salt Lake. On this road trip, you'll trace the river and its tributaries across Utah and Colorado, seeing all the ways in which water has shaped the land. Plus, it offers your family a consistent place to live while making your way down the road. There are several car rental companies at Salt Lake City International Airport, including: Rental car prices can vary depending on the type of car and the rental period. 2018-2023 CS Ginger. In 2019, Canyonlands welcomed 733,996 visitors, according to the National Park Service. Theres no better way to experience Moab than exploring the off-road trails. Best Route to drive from Salt Lake City to Moab What is a 2007 Honda Civics life expectancy? 6 hours of driving. * With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars. Salt Lake Citys Little America Hotel is a big surprise wrapped up in a neat package. . We originally wanted to visit the Mighty 5. Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so theyre bound to have one close by. Discover rugged beauty and classic American hospitality on this trip into the west. You will find exciting adventures, history, refined culture, and amazing cuisine along the way. Initially, I wasn't sure the extra mileage would be worth it. Thompson Springs, which is about a 45-minute drive north of Moab, is home to a set of petroglyphs called the Sego Canyon Rock Art. The short hike to House on Fire from Mule Canyon is well worth the effort, and if you have more time, a longer hike in Road Canyon passes numerous archaeological sites. Quotes from 50+ insurance companies. I thought it was an iconic Utah experience, and one I think everyone should try. disembarked the luxury Rocky Mountaineer train, Utah Department of Health and Human Services' website, crowdsand had to contend with the hassle of needing a timed reservation to enter the park, mistakes park rangers often see in the national parks. RVShare is another peer-to-peer rental site for RVs. Before you leave, swing by Bryce Point for some of the parks best-loved vistas. Grab a picnic table and a fist full of napkins their ooey-gooey quesadillas are legendary. Written by Tom Hindle Reviewed by Carrie Adkins Updated on Jun 27, 2022 Table of Contents Though Utah may appear arid and sparse, there's plenty to do in the Beehive State. This route takes about 4 hours. There are several flights that depart from Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC) and arrive at Canyonlands Field Airport (CNY) in Moab. The John Wesley Powell River History Museum and Black Canyon Dragon Viewpoint are both in Green River. OARS is proud to be an authorized concessioner of the National Park Service and a permitted outfitter under the National Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management. campgrounds and pre-established campsites are free throughout the area. I plugged in the Dream Mine on Google Maps, which led me to a gated road. No matter where you are, a breakdown could happen. I love exploring new places and love cars, so renting a car for my travels is most of the time the perfect way to find new adventures. Moab is located about 3 hours and 40 minutes (234mi / 377km) away from Salt Lake City and where our Utah road trip itinerary begins from. Gas prices in Utah are relatively low compared to other states, and you can expect to pay around $35 for a full tank of gas. This was one of our kids favorite things we did in Moab, and they are still talking about it. Whether you arrive in Moab by car, plane, or the Rocky Mountaineer, you will love the Western vibe in this dusty adventure town. It's hard to miss as it sits on a hill overlooking the desert town. The intrepid explorer can pilot their own ATV/UTV up and down the precarious rock formations following in the footsteps of many a skilled driver. They also have a picnic table or two, so it is a good location to bring lunch if you dont want to purchase food there. Moab 27F. According to Only in Your State, the building was originally a home. . Seattle to Leavenworth Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Fargo to Theodore Roosevelt National Park Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Providence to Cape Cod Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route. You can explore Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, and the surrounding Moab area at your own pace. Capitol Reef National Park is a stunning park with towering cliffs, canyons, and rock formations. Try the Sloppy Joe! According to Atlas Obscura, the petroglyphs and pictographs were created by three Indigenous tribes, the Utes, Fremont, and Archaic groups, thousands of years ago. The flight time from Salt Lake City to Moab is approximately 1 hour and 5 minutes. . O.A.R.S. I want to try it out on my car, but I cant seem to find the plug. Up next is Canyonlands National Park, the largest national park in Utah. The easy-rated White Rim Overlook is just under 2 miles round trip with a rewarding view. After scarfing down the meal, Jailhouse Cafe earned its place on my must-visit list for Moab. Make sure to bring plenty of snacks and water, as it gets hot out there! From: 1 traveler 2 travelers 3 travelers 4 travelers 5 travelers 6 travelers. Then, cap your day off with an adrenaline pumping tour of Hells Revenge with a local guide. We are here to show you that traveling as a family is not as hard as you might think. If you're planning a road trip to Salt Lake City, you can research locations to stop along the way. The park becomes very busy by mid-morning, and parking can be difficult. Today, it's used to host local theater groups, weddings, and other events. Take in the sunset over Waterpocket Fold Cliffs on the 3.6-mile Chimney Rock Loop trail, before turning in for the night. Day 2: Arches National Park drive for about 1 hour. Feels like 22.75 Wind speed 3.4 mph Pressure 1039 hPa. As many road trippers will start in Salt Lake City, the state's main transportation hub, we'll start there for the purposes of this itinerary. 33 minutes Payson Canyon. This is a very strenuous ride, so you might elect to sample the 1.6 mile Slickrock Practice Trail instead, or consult with a local bike shop for a better suited trail. This local dive bar has morphed into a must-stop eatery on any road trip between Moab and Salt Lake City. There are three campgrounds in Zion, two of which (South and Watchman) can be reserved in advance. It was a stark contrast from Arches National Park, where I previously spent two daysconstantlyhunting for parking spots and avoiding people on crowded trails. If you dont have the proper vehicle to handle these types of trails, you can rent a jeep through Moab Adventure Center on the main street in Moab. Hike Canyon Overlook Trail (1 hour, 1 mi/1.6 km round trip) Copper Ridge Dinosaur Tracks Trail, Bone Trail, Willow Springs Dinosaur Track Site, and the Bull Canyon Overlook Dinosaur Track Site are other Moab locations for more Jurassic fun! Well known for its biking and rugged dirt roads, Moab is less recognized for its golf, yet the Moab Golf Club layout is one of the most spectacular anywhere with the rich green grass accented by the backdrop of rugged red cliffs. A visit to Moab wouldnt be complete without exploring the red rocks up close and personal. I could hardly spot what historians believe are images of horses, pale white circles representing shields, and humans. Hang a left onto UT-22 (seven miles), then take a right onto UT-62 east (26 miles). Stop at. Road Trip From Salt Lake City Airport Top Travel Destinations For a Southern Utah Road Trip The State of Utah has just about every kind of terrain that an adventurer could want. Crescent Junction 24F. in Outdoor and Environmental Education from Alaska Pacific University and has worked as a raft guide, avalanche educator, and backpacking instructor around the American West. However, you definitely want to stop and explore Utahs gorgeous scenery. From Salt Lake City, hop on I-15 south for a straight shot to the state's southern reaches. Avid hikers will love Canyonlands National Park. Im getting into car repair as a hobby and just bought my first OBD scanner. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The shops offeredwhatfelt to me like an endless combination of soda, syrups, and flavors. If youre looking to make some stops along the way, there are plenty of great places to visit on the drive from Salt Lake City to Moab. While I could spot the bright-white building, I thought the far-away views weren't worth the time it took me to get there. This is the most convenient and easy way to get a rental car in Salt Lake City. Remain on US-6 E for nearly 130 miles, then merge ontoI-70 E/US-191 S. This route will carry you the final 24 miles into Moab. Drive from Las Vegas (168 miles) or Salt Lake City (314 miles) to Springdale, gateway to Zion National Park. If I'm passing through Spanish Fork again, I plan to make another pit stop for either a yoga class or lunch buffet. How can I make sure my friend is covered to drive my car during a road trip? Here are the places I'd go to again in a heartbeat, and where I'll skip on future travels. This route takes you through the small towns of Mount Pleasant and Fairview, and past the beautiful Sanpete Valley. Or, if youre looking to cool down, a jet boat tour on the Colorado River promises everything from wildlife views to a ground level vantage point of the Goose Neck. While it may just be the start of the road trip, Salt Lake City is a fascinating metropolis in its own right. Every turn opens up new and unusual gravity-defying red rock formations. With staggering sights and easy access to national parks, Moab is a great place to visit. What to eat from Springdale to Bryce Canyon. This route is approximately 240 miles long and takes about 3 hours and 48 minutes. Amtraks California Zephyr will carry you from Salt Lake to Green River, UT, which is the closest stop to Moab. eat at Red Iguana. At the top of Dead Horse Point State Park, there is a large flat area the point surrounded by deep, rocky canyons with precipitous drops. 5 minutes Salt Lake City. Do Car Rental Companies Check Your Driving License? The history and stories I learned from the deserted plot of land I found were worthy of a pit stop. On the surface, the water was a crystal-blue color and I thought it had the relaxing temperature of a warm bath. *An earlier version of this Utah road trip post first appeared on the blog in 2013 and was last updated February 2021. This is a great book that has helped us when we are exploring the off-road trails in Moab like Poison Spider Mesa. You can make stops in Boise, Twin Falls, and Salt Lake City to enjoy the sights. 1 hour Wayan. In one corner of downtown is a large food truck park where you can dine on everything from gelato to paninis. Its a great place to take a hike and explore the otherworldly landscape. I tried it before heading into Arches National Park, and easily saw why the breakfast eatery attracts both locals and tourists alike. Traveling solo, with hubby Chris, or the entire Barrett clan there is always a story waiting to be told. Our goal, to share the worlds unique, hidden and once in a lifetime locations with you to create unforgettable memories. There are two main driving routes from Salt Lake City to Moab: I-15 S and US-6 E/US-191 S The quickest route is via I-15 S and US-6 E/US-191 S, which takes you through Spanish Fork and Price before reaching Moab. But those views coupled with fewer crowds mean I'll come back to this national park over and over again. Moab, Utah. If you stick to the interstate, this can easily be done within 5 hours without making any stops. Either way, youll want to make sure you plan enough time for a lunchtime break in Green River at Rays Tavern or Tamarisk, which boasts river-side views. This train ride is approximately 4.5 hours. In the video, Mr. Driving from Salt Lake City to Moab takes approximately 3 hours and 49 minutes. Flights from Salt Lake City to Moab are available most days. Being able to stop wherever and whenever is my idealway to explore. It cost me about $90, which included entrance into the crater, gear, and a diving partner since I was traveling solo. If not, you may spring for a quick hike on BLM land alongside State Route 128 or Kane Creek. Day 1: Salt Lake City A full day in Salt Lake City is an ideal way to start your trip. It earned its comparison to Switzerland thanks to the nearby Wasatch mountain range, which Swiss settlers in the 1850s compared to the Alps, according to The Herber Valley Utah. Salt Lake City is the ideal starting point to set out to the Yellowstone National Park and to discover the natural resources in northern Utah as well. I explored the perimeter of the land, but I couldn't spot much more beyond a few crumbling cabins. We have made the drive from Salt Lake City to Moab and love camping in the Moab area. I rented a Jeep for five days with a plan to explore Moab and its surrounding desert towns,before heading up to Midway, andending in Salt Lake City. It was some of the best food I had during my trip. A straightforward road trip from Salt Lake City to Zion National Park will take 310 miles. After being pushed out of Salt Lake City, they relocated to the desert where they managed to grow to a population of 228. OARS is a proud member of Adventure Collection, a partnership of the world's premiere adventure travel companies. While I visited in the spring, I'm eager to return to Midway in the winter, when winter activities are in full swing and the town is blanketed in snow. If youre interested in hiking in Moab and exploring on foot or riding through the parks on a mountain bike, your options are endless. drive for about 4 hours. At 234 miles, this route takes about 4 hours. Exploring a national park can seem daunting. There are several rental car companies in the Salt Lake area, with many great options available at the Salt Lake Airport. Around the corner from the park sits a lone, bright yellow truck Quesadilla Mobilla. By the time I sat down, the sun had fully set and the food wasn't as tasty as I'd hoped. Jerry automatically shops for your insurance before every renewal. Mingling with students on the cusp of exploring their future imparts a sense of youthful exuberance, not to mention a trip down memory lane. If you do visit, it is a good idea to make sure you bring a water bottle. You can also take a short detour to Goblin Valley State Park. Road conditions from Moab to Salt Lake City. Of all the tours available in the Moab area, Hells Revenge is the one you cant miss! Find pet-friendly stops. The community didn't last long. As the rehearsal began, I observed a slow but steady stream of people who walked into the building to watch. To break things up, you can spend the night in Park Citythere are numerous good hotels to consider. drive for about 3 hours. How Much Does It Cost To Rent A Car Dolly, How Much Does it Cost to Rent a Car for a Week, Portland to Olympic National Park Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Portland to San Francisco Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Rapid City to Badlands National Park Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Rent a Car in Siesta Key: $35+ Per Day To Enjoy Your Vacation. The drive from the airport to Moab is about 20 minutes. One of the most common and quick stops in the Great Salt Lake City is Temple Square. After 280 miles of freeway driving, take exit 27 toward Toquerville. The tour guides have everything you need and are very knowledgeable. Moab was once home to some of these prehistoric creatures, so be sure to visit the spots that showcase the dinosaur fossils, like the Moab Giants. So why do all that extra work when Jerry can do it better? Finally, turn right on UT-261 south (four miles) and keep an eye out for the Kane Gulch Ranger Station, where youll start your journey. The Aggies are proud of their university and take great care in maintaining the museum for their guests to enjoy. You can take to the landscape or have fun checking out local shops and museums. 47 minutes Salina. Stretch your legs on the Queens Garden Trail, a 1.8-mile trip to Queen Victoria Hoodoo and back. As I passed through Spanish Fork, I decided to grab lunch at the temple's vegetarian buffet. The park boasts hundreds of miles of hiking trails for all levels. Emma Walker is the author of the book Dead Reckoning: Learning from Accidents in the Outdoors. She earned her M.S. I think my time would've been better spent reading, researching, and imagining the life Ogden aimed to create for her followers. One of Utah's most famous ghost towns is Iosepa, which was designed to be an oasis for Hawaiian followers of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after they were pushed out of Salt Lake City in the 1880s. 1 hour Temple Square. 1969 - 2021 OARS Companies Inc. All rights reserved. On your road trip from Salt Lake City to Moab, you will run into Utah towns, including Provo, Heber, Price, Green River, and Thompson Springs. Having a rental car will also give you lots of flexibility once you get to Moab. Start with the bruschetta misto or the pomodori e mozzarella to get your taste buds warmed up. The town is located just an hour southeast of Salt Lake City. driving 4 hours. This is a good option if you want to save some money, but you will very possibly still need or want a car once you get into Moab. Operated by Salt Lake Express, the Salt Lake City to Moab bus service departs from Downtown Salt Lake and arrives in Moab, UT. Some of Utah's prettiest vistas are on display as you traverse mountains and valleys on this road trip from Salt Lake City to Moab, Utah. Get an early start to leave as much time as possible to explore Utahs first national park. The next time I'm in Midway, I'll still visit, but I'd likely opt to just swim instead of dive, which costs only $18, or I'd splurge for a $75 paddleboard yoga session in the crater. This route is approximately 225 miles long and takes about 4 hours and 20 minutes. Butafter visiting, I believe it absolutely was. And if youre willing to embrace the great outdoors, a long-winded journey from Salt Lake City to Moab features the best wildlife and scenery the state has to offer. The currentowners purchased the buildingin 1992 and turned it into the Jailhouse Cafe. To start, take a look around the. A trip time between March and May will offer you the most comfortable temperatures while also avoiding some of the summer crowds. Moab is a city full of adventures just waiting to be discovered. Choose a half (easy route) or full (moderately difficult route, 2 hours drive from Moab) day adventure and learn the basics of canyoneering skills. As I dropped off my car and boarded a plane home to Denver, Colorado, I felt like a road trip across Utah was the best way to see the state for the first time. This tour is perfect for adventure-seeking families. 42 minutes Lava Hot Springs. If youre looking to take your time making your way down the road, or if you just need to give the kids a chance to stretch and blow off some steam, there are a variety of attractions to see in these cities. After 280 miles of freeway driving, take exit 27 toward Toquerville. 10:00 am leave from Moab. Each of these places offers museums and scenic points if you have time to explore. ($): For some quick pre-adventure fuel, stop be here for small bites and a caffeine kick. Hells Revenge 44 Off-Roading Tour from Moab is a fun-filled adventure that takes you down all of the challenging parts along the Hells Revenge Trail. Insider paid for the meal, per our reporting standards.
Burma Vs Golden Teacher, What Does Current Organization Assigned Mean, Juditha Anne Brown Net Worth, Articles S