I thought ebikes were supposed to enable us to do more fun stuff in less time. Weve found the first two settings to be too weak for e-MTB use, though conversely the highest setting can feel a little too peaky for some riders. Yes, I have done today 97km today and I have 62% battery charge left. leftside; Nov 30, 2021; Replies 23 Views 4K . As much as I want an emtb right now, I am waiting until the technology is perfected. As mentioned earlier, the Bosch motor does feel punchier than Shimano EP8, with noticeably stronger support at lower cadences. Additionally, the maximum torque limit can be set anywhere between 20-85Nm allowing riders to increase their riding range in TRAIL or BOOST modes or increase the off-road capabilities of ECO mode. So many issues that can be simply solved by not having a motor. Shimano Introduces its Most Advanced E-Bike System for Mountain Bikes, New STEPS EP8 Motor Platform, e-Tube Project Technology Comprehensively Enhance the Riding Experience. High level of water-resistant performance (IPX5) . At the front, Yeti has decided against a custom integrated display and the bike features a standard E-800 remote and full-colour display, but an interesting tidbit on the . EP8 delivers up to 85 Nm of torque, a 21-percent increase over the STEPS E8000 motor platform. SM-CRE80-12-SB. SHIMANO EP8 RANGE TEST 630Wh - How Many KM Can You Get?? The Purion controller is vastly simpler and easy to read, but it looks cheap and its bulky, making it an awkward fit with brake and dropper levers. - Available on a wide-range of different e-MTBs, - Clacking noise can be annoying Shimano Cues - New 9/10/11 speed lower tier drivetrain components. Designed specifically for SHIMANO's STEPS system, the BT-E8036 battery integrates smoothly into the down tube and features 630 Wh capacity. The EP8 system is compatible with Shimano's bigger 630Wh batteries. Heat dissipating materials, increased surface area in the case, and a refined heat management algorithm improve heat resistance, allowing more torque to be applied even as the conditions become more challenging. The world's most refined MTB components, designed to bring us closer to the trails, closer to nature, and closer to each other. A single 630 watt-hour battery provides between 30 to 60 miles per charge, depending on conditions. DISCONTINUED PRODUCTS, SHIMANO SERVICE CENTERS | MANUALS & TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS | DISCONTINUED PRODUCTS, Privacy Policy | Cookies Preferences | Terms of Use | California Transparency in Supply Chain Act | ADA Compliance, Shimano Introduces its Most Advanced E-Bike System for Mountain Bikes. I tested a few Merida bikes with Shimano motor and they have some bugs in first versions,quite annoying stupid things force you to reset the bike sometimes. Can they make it swappable with a gear box? You can display way more metrics on it too, and battery is usefully displayed as a percentage. > At full charge in Trail mode it says range is 90km or so but I haven't put that to the test on more mellow trail days but am sure others have. It can now double the range compared to trail mode, becoming a very useful tool for maximizing ride time. I rode the engine too, the thing is the engine is super quiet once you charge on the pedals, and you've got that annoying rattling noise as soon as you are on the freewheel and cruising down the trail Shim is working on it from what they said. Occasionally it can feel a little peakier compared to EP8, but for the most part both motors are easy to get used to within a few rides. DISCONTINUED PRODUCTS, SHIMANO SERVICE CENTER | MANUALS & TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS | DISCONTINUED PRODUCTS, Privacy Policy | Cookies Preferences | Terms of Use | Legal info. A downside of the 2.2 motor is that it is noticeably draggy above the 25km/h cutoff though something we experienced during back-to-back between the Levo and Canyon Spectral:ON. Can someone make a bike with 50% - 100% assist? Plus the battery wasn't completely drained so 2400/2500hm seems to be possibly. I suppose pedal assist allows you to tackle the more fun/steep/tech climbs but to be effective it needs to be subtle too. And more power requires more juice. One of the more intriguing aspects of EP8 is the ability to fine-tune the motors performance via Shimanos E-Tube Project app. Total power isnt quite as brutish as Bosch and Brose, but the real beauty about EP8 is that it retains the smooth and intuitive performance that we loved about the old motor. This is due to the internal clutch mechanism, which allows the motor to disconnect from the cranks when not in use, thereby decreasing drag and resistance. Shimano couples this introduction with an updated E-TUBE PROJECT system. When riding identical bikes in my experience the lighter rider has more battery left even if he or she uses higher assist modes. I have no personal experience riding with pedal assist but when I hear the high whiz from the motor I think that would drive me mad too. Along with the svelte carbon frame, that helps to reduce the total bike weight to as low as 16.2kg, creating a potentially worthy adversary to the Specialized Levo SL. Shimano Steps E8036 E-Bike Battery Brand: Shimano Type: E-Bike Battery Model: Steps E8036 Frame . With 630Wh of power on tap, the BT-E8036 is the largest internal battery that Shimano now offers and matches the size of the batteries that Bosch offers for its eMTB system. At 52+ lbs, you're going to be using that motor every pedal stroke. MANUALS & TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS There is zero stickiness at the pedals that we could detect. Component categories and series of GRAVEL, Component categories and series of LIFESTYLE, Component categories and series of E-BIKE, Your smartphone to cycling computer on the bike, SHIMANO bicycle ride data collection/analysis service, SHIMANO AGAINST THE TAMPERING WITH E-BIKES, California Transparency in Supply Chain Act. I found this beauty as an example: The reviewer weighs 55kgs. In comparison, the MasterMind TCU display on the new Specialized Levo offers a significantly more customisable and overall user-friendly experience. In the lower settings, youll have to pedal really hard to get maximum support the motor. The Bosch motor produces the same 85Nm peak torque output as Shimano EP8, and it offers a similarly drag-free ride quality beyond the 25km/h cutoff due to the motor decoupling from the cranks. However the motor operation itself is fabulous, smooth, powerful, feels natural when you ride, you can cover ground like crazy in this thing. Climbs really well and descends like a beast. - Strong but very well-tuned power delivery The version I've been riding on was 17,8kg. The belt-driven design is also a touch quieter when pedalling, and theres no clacking noise either. @tomdesoals: Ah, thanks I get it. system so what I'd like to see is if in a real world ride the increased battery capacity and reduced drag of the EP8 and 630wh battery lead to significantly greater range and vertical climbed. EP8 EP800 Series: Color: Standard: Average weight * 0.31 (Power cable: 250 mm) * 0.32 (Power cable: 400 mm) Remarks . Pretty clever! Another element of the weight saving equation is the new Shimano EP8 motor. No mention on the worldwide recall of the motor due to issues? That rattling feeling comes from one way bearing. While some frames will resonate more than others, the noise is otherwise normal, and it doesnt take long before your brain subconsciously ignores it. More power, less weight, even more efficient and the biggest battery Shimano offer. Merida's eONE-SIXTY EP8 / 630Wh battery-equipped eMTB's start from around 4.200 / 3,800, and EP8 / 630Wh battery-equipped e-hardtails from around 3.500 / 3,200. Like their predecessors, all Shimano STEPS batteries are extremely long-lasting, taking up to 1000 full charge cycles while maintaining 60-percent of their original capacity, double the charge cycle capacity of other batteries, often outlasting the average e-mountain bike ownership. Ebikes are great as a self shuttle, especially for time limited people. For a lighter pedal feel than the E8000, the one-way bearing has reduced its rotational resistance, creating a free play. At Hollandbikeshop.com you'll find an extensive and versatile range of Shimano Steps Batteries. It may not display this or other websites correctly. In the higher settings, the motor will deliver maximum power without you having to pedal very hard at all. The way the 2.2 motor smooths out un-smooth rider input is very impressive, giving it the most natural feel on the trail of any full-power motor weve tested. Riders will feel a smoother cut off as they reach the maximum assist speed and then benefit from lighter pedaling without assistance. Personally, were ok with downshifting and spinning our way up a steep incline its better for the health of your knees, and its likely better for the health of the motor too. 3509 Carlin Springs Rd. Its also given us plenty of opportunity to identify all the little quirks, while getting a better impression of long-term durability and performance. Fitness hasn't a big effect because of all the muscle weight to motor has to carry but doesn't assist pedalling. - Lightweight and small form factor if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do, we charge it up to 11. Yeah but who needs all that power? All the grit is gone because it's clearly stuck between your bitter little arse cheeks.. Didn't think I'd ever see that. Anyone knows what's are those white (ish) shoes the reviewer is using on some of the pics? So despite being an engineer the non-linear noisy nature of the reporting makes it very difficult to plan rides and I almost always finish the last few km without assistance for bigger rides. The E-TUBE RIDE app, which turns a smart phone into a cycling computer, provides expanded information and adds ride recording and mapping features. Power less, battery smaller, it lighter is.. Would "every time you push the on switch" have been more understandable? Generally on bikes we spend so little time braking that regeneration would be a waste of effort. But on the premise of further, faster, more fun, that range at full noise is not gonna outdo the range & fun I get outta my bowl of cereal and some old fashion pedal power. More juice (and more travel) makes the new enduro eMTB heavier than before. Alongside the launch of the new EP8 motor, Shimano has increased the battery capacity to a mega 630 Wh. Shimano's EP8 motor will be specced on a range of top brands 2021 eMTB's including the majority of Merida's ebike range which benefits from the extra performance of the EP8. By Ralf Hauser Aside from the sound of the clutch, everything else in the "CONS" list can be fixed with software updates. This will be a far more accurate method for determining your estimated range. If you don't like e-bikes for whatever reason, you really have no business even commenting on this review. Its the Orbea Rise that achieves the most discreet integration however, with a frame that was purpose-built around the smaller EP8 motor, rather than having been retrofitted from a previous E8000 drive unit. I wish real bike reviews were this detailed. I have to admit some of the comments make me laugh out loud while others score some points for being helpful and based on fact, not hearsay fiction. Those Merida ebikes ride quite good too. Still built around a block with 250W power outage under 36V, the maximum torque notably increases by more than 20% or 85N.m. Wait, 23-27kms? Now, would we like to see Shimano eliminate the noise altogether? This bike also gets a Shimano drivetrain but it's upgraded to the SLX range with some Deore sneaking its way in, taking the place of the cassette and chain. However, you do pay for all that refinement and integration. If possible, repeat this ride on the Eco and Boost modes too. dont think people would fancy riding a fixie down a trail. The DIODE has the Shimano E8000 motor and both bikes regardless of motor specs and differences do one thing really, really wellthey make riding FUN! Weve ridden the latest Bosch Performance CX Gen 4 motor on a variety of e-MTBs, including the Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 and the Trek Rail. The new magnesium drive unit casing design delivers a 300g weight loss in a 10-percent smaller form factor. FEATURES Supports sleek frame design Same mount as current BT-E8035 That's worse to, because 20kg dead weight doesn't contribute like 20kg of normal, muscle-laden body mass. EP8 EP800 I have not heard of a recall, so I did some digging. The low profile EM800 display takes up minimal space next to the stem, featuring a crystal-clear screen with colour-coded graphics to easily identify which assist setting youre in. I chose this bike because it has the EP8 and from research, seems to be the most reliable platform out there, assuming it's as reliable as the E8000. Designed specifically for SHIMANO's STEPS system, the BT-E8036 battery integrates smoothly into the down tube and features 630 Wh capacity. The Levo SL? Bailey's Crossroads, VA 22041. That makes it tricky to work out how much assistance youll be finishing your ride with. My take away besides the obviously pro/con talking points was the weight of the bike. Thank you for the info, so still king of the long travels is Levo - 700 battery + Levo SL with range extender. I have a gen 3 and it's totally quiet when coasting . I feel like I've been missing out on so much! Introducing the new Focus Jam2 and Sam2 your perfect match. Santa Cruz's 2021 Bullit electric mountain bike is built around 170mm of VPP rear wheel travel and Shimano's EP-8 electric motor with an in-built 630Wh battery. Estimated range is 5125 feet for EP8 motor with 630wh So these results are shocking so this test needs to be repeated. If a dynamo can be worked into the wheel hubs, you may even get near perpetual charging while the system is in use. What is the range of the battery? Also the bikes will be heavy as f*ck with an 820Wh battery. EP8 delivers up to 85 Nm of torque, a 21-percent increase over the STEPS E8000 motor platform. Quick everyone, it's another article about e-bikes grab the pitchforks! If riders prefer the additional support provided by boost mode or they plan to tackle next to impossible climbs, they will appreciate the greater bike control even with maximum power delivery in boost thanks to the new algorithm. As in, we totally forgot about it altogether. There are five levels of startup assistance available that can further tame the acceleration from a stop for relaxed city riding or apply more power from the get go when starting on steep mountain bike trails. The clicking sound has no effect on the function or durability of the drive unit. Component categories and series of GRAVEL, Component categories and series of LIFESTYLE, Component categories and series of E-BIKE, Your smartphone to cycling computer on the bike, SHIMANO bicycle ride data collection/analysis service, SHIMANO AGAINST THE TAMPERING WITH E-BIKES, * BT-E8036 for Japan (16.2 Ah, 583 Wh) ** By EC-E8004 (*** In case of 100 V AC) **** with SM-BTE80 or EW-CP100, BM-E8030-A BM-E8030-B BM-E8031-A BM-E8031-B, Durable battery retains max. Its easy to modulate via how much pressure youre putting through the cranks and the power delivery is progressive, giving it a very natural feel as a result. Overall it is a very refined system though. If speed and maximum power output is less of a concern though, switching into the factory Eco mode is a sure-fire way to get more ride time expect range to double from those figures above. In comparison, you can get a Polygon Mt Bromo N8 with a Shimano EP8 motor for $7,899 AUD. Aim for a cadence between 70-90 RPM for maximum efficiency and response from the motor. The EP8 is also tuned to give more power in Trail mode without affecting range. Shimano get your shit together or just say that you're not going to find a fix. And you can take the motor together with a battery out in matter of seconds. Then theres the BT-8035-L battery, which is a 504Wh battery that shares the same physical dimensions as the 630Wh version. Your own weight is really the one thing that effects the battery capacity together with tires and the ground surface. Just kidding! Across our range of E-MTBs, you'll find both 504 Wh and 630 Wh internal battery options with some models in our Torque:ON range including a dual battery option for long-lasting adventures that extend into and beyond golden hour. Additionally, Shimano produces a smaller and lighter 504Wh option, which is also cheaper and helps to bring the complete bike price down see the sub-$8K Polygon Mt Bromo N8 for example. Click on a component to learn more. SM-CRE80. With the new EP8, Shimano managed to close the gap to its biggest competitors. Shimano battery issues with EP8 motor. The maximum rider support was raised to 400%, compared to the E8000's 300%. I despise young people buying ebikeswhat a bunch of lazy. The new EP8 computer display (SC-EM800) shares many external similarities with the SC-E8000 display, but with new features including a more capable chipset, expanded compatibility with third party computers, and the ability to select two different custom ride profiles. Unlike Bosch, Shimano's EP8 motor can be paired with third-party batteries. Rattling and lack of update to the battery monitoring is a no go for me, I would just upgrade the battery to the new 620s if i could fit it. The sign of a true technical rider. Absolutely. It's like a dirt bike with a 15 mile range. Weve noticed this while pedalling along forest double tracks and on the road to and from the trailhead, but its also apparent when sprinting along faster sections of singletrack. In the article it is not considered that much of an issue as supposedly trackstands are less common on e-bikes, but if I'd get one (if ever) that would be just what I can imagine myself do. View More Close. The ability to customize the boost is very useful, with Shimano's app you can dial it in to your preferences. The biggest change has been with Trail mode, which now gives you access to the full 85Nm of torque if youre pedalling hard enough. Rob has ridden the bike, so make You must log in or register to reply here. The complaints of charge bars on the display and the bike starting without any assistance are non issues for me. The Brose Mag S motor has been used in the Specialized Levo and Kenevo since 2018, though it was recently updated for the release of the new Levo. SHIMANO STEPS Integrated Down Tube Battery Mount With Key Unit Mount, SHIMANO STEPS Integrated Down Tube Battery Mount Without Key Unit Mount, SHIMANO STEPS Integrated Down Tube Battery Mount, SHIMANO SERVICE CENTER Stay tuned, as well have an Orbea Rise test bike arriving very soon. Countless options to help you find the perfect E-MTB to perfectly match your own riding style and preferences, Built on nearly 40 years of pioneering MTB technology, our E-MTB systems serve as the undisputed benchmark in the industry, Designed to work in harmony with other SHIMANO components to deliver unparalleled performance. Motor: Shimano EP8; Battery Size(s): 900Wh or 720Wh (M-XL), 720Wh on Small; Our batteries are designed to keep you out on the trails and riding further. 5Nm doesnt sound like much on paper, but on the trail the Levos 2.2 motor is noticeably musclier than Shimano EP8, particularly at the extreme ends of the cadence spectrum. He was pretty happy about ANT compatibility. It doesn't feel good. I have tested a few ones and to me best one is Specialized in terms of ridding feeling and refinement. Perfect? While the EP8s performance on the climbs is generally excellent, we have occasionally wished for a little more overrun for clearing technical features. There are 10 levels of adjustment, from Eco to Powerful. It's the same. COMPONENT With the Spectral:ON for example, which has very short chainstays and a relatively slack seat tube angle that puts your weight further over the rear axle on steep climbs, it helped to dial down the Assistance Character (to 6/10), the Maximum Torque (to 78Nm) and the Assistance Start (to 4/5) to soften the bikes power and acceleration. It is MUCH less powerful, but there is no rattle, no weird cut off, no jerky pedal action. SHIMANO STEPS Chainring 10/11-speed VIEW PRODUCT. At the same time, riders will notice an increase in range simply because the new assist algorithm doesnt waste energy when it isnt needed. Wed much rather see battery life displayed as a percentage, and the option to customise the screen. Shimano Steps E8036 E-Bike Battery 36V 17.5Ah 630Wh - Black. Merida was the first to release a 2021 eBike running an EP8 and we've actually already ridden it in this video.For 2021, Merida has added the EP8 a larger 630Wh Shimano battery and improved the . It isnt a huge difference, but sometimes its just enough for your rear wheel to make it up and over a stubborn tree root or rock ledge. With 21% greater torque than E8000, the EP8 motor delivers substantially more punch on the trail, and it feels more usable too. I have this motor. Standard Range Test: "R200" Standard Elevation Gain Test: "R300" 70W Rider Power 200% support of the motor: 140W Total Weight: 100 kg (Spectral:ON CFR: 22.2 kg and Rider: 77.8 kg) RANGE DONE RIGHT Range matters. The Kiox head unit has a nice colour screen with plenty of useful data on it, but were not sold on the magnetic attachment and the fact that the motor wont turn on without the head unit. Here youll find three sliding scales for each of the three assist modes (thats Eco, Trail and Boost). That would be awesome to do laps on. What settings you end up will depend on your personal riding style, and your expectations of range and power output. The EP8 drive unit (DU-EP800) benefits the overall bicycle design and ride feel through a more natural and refined power delivery thanks to the lighter, quieter, more compact and powerful motor with increased range. Our batteries are renowned for keeping you out on the trails and riding further. They could have gone "yeah the rattling sucks but we hope you appreciate the motor nonetheless" but instead they composed this pure poetry. It physically wouldn't fit inside the frame. You dont necessarily go further, but you will be riding and climbing faster. Overall the tuning adjustments are quite noticeable, though wed always recommend only adjusting one parameter at a time to isolate its effect on the trail. Upon a little digging on the internet, it appears that this functionality is only on offer for Garmin users. I don't know anyone that likes a bike that rattles in any way or form. At my age 69, if it isn't fun, exciting, and challenging, count me out! Still, given the lengths that bike and drivetrain manufacturers have gone to stealthify mountain bikes over the past few years, we found the noisy EP8 motor to be infuriating during the first few rides just as we did with the Bosch Gen 4. Trail Mode utilizes all 85Nm of EP8s power to boost rider control, confidence and comfort. It also benefits from a RockShox ZEB Select RC fork paired with a RockShox Super Deluxe Select R shock. Hopefully we will have a system with little weight penalty in a few years. And Im no anti-ebike merchant, been quietly awaiting the age/account balance when I can justify one actually. You can improve efficiency by limiting the maximum torque, though it is still possible to get maximum power out of the motor by pedalling at a higher cadence, so you wont necessarily get more range by limiting torque. This also allows brands to more neatly integrate the motor into their frame designs, Canyon having done a particularly swell job with the Spectral:ON. It also responds a fraction quicker at the pedals, and delivers more overrun power when ratcheting the pedals over technical features up a climb. Currently, I own two e-bikes with a new 2022 Moustache Samedi 26 Fat 4 with the Bosch Motor on its way. Can never hear it over the sound of the wind rushing by or the trail / wheels noises. Along with the fault-free performance weve experienced so far, wed have no hesitation in recommending a bike built around Shimano EP8 this is a high quality and well-rounded e-MTB system. I've had a go on ebikes and think they're fantastic and good fun. There are a lot of factors that influence range including rider weight, tyre choice, trail conditions, and elevation. But yeah, different people. Are we ignoring the fact that motor has been recalled/reworked by Shimano, and pushing all new bike deliveries by two months (at least)? When youre at those 30-40km/h descending speeds, EP8 doesnt punish you for stamping on the pedals to build some extra speed in the lead-up to a jump or dropoff. Ebikes are cool but not quite refined enough to jump in yet. They need to get their old skunk works team back together and gain real world feedback before promoting vaporware. Oh man, so that must mean you know of rigs they've received that they've not done first rides and then field tests on. However, we couldnt get the display to pair with our Wahoo ELMNT Roam head unit. The MY21 model also features an updated build kit that. SpecializEd # levo SL is a great benchmark Have had a Specialized Levo & sold it due to making weird noises, so yes other manufacturers have problems too, not saying that is easy to get good reliability with new technology, but my Shimano e-8000 motor has been more reliable even is very wet weather! Just remember to manually unpair your phone from the bike before you start riding again, as the motor wont engage while the system is paired to the app. For a mechanic, mechanical noise is a no-no by the end of the ride Id be destroyed mentally! Now well point out here that the Bosch Gen 4 motor exhibits a similar metallic clacking noise, since its internal gear system also employs a clutch. Is this a review for ants? The EP8 drive unit shape more smoothly integrates with new e-bike frames for improved ground clearance and a more compact overall package. What makes me sad is seeing young people hop on the e bike train so that they can go on a longer ride or so that someone who is new to cycling can keep up with their friends who have been riding for years, all to perpetuate needless consumerism and a gross waste of resources. That rattle would drive me bonkers. . Most brains will be capable of doing this, as the noise in question isnt actually signalling a fault with the motor. The YT Decoy also utilises its own 520Wh battery and the the Orbea Rise is built around a smaller 360Wh battery. This is particularly noticeable on traction-poor climbs, even when starting from a standstill. What's left is just a plain old mountain bike with a weight around 14kg. The versatile and powerful SHIMANO EP8 e-bike system can be found on a wide range of brands and models. Show more less. Simply named by Specialized as the 2.2, the motor continues to offer 90Nm of peak torque, and externally it has the same mounting points and overall shape. Where the EP8 motorisnt quieter than its predecessor however, is when youre not pedalling. Instead of a single assist ratio for each riding mode, the new algorithm constantly calculates the ideal assist ratio for the situation. You can hear it in the workshop just by lifting the rear wheel and dropping it on the ground, where it sounds a bit like a loose pebble bouncing around inside a wooden box. The touch points are all up to typical Shimano standards of quality, though we would like to see improvements to the functionality of the display unit, notably having battery life shown as a percentage. Im the worlds biggest ebike fan & I quite agree. And we certainly wouldnt be upset if Shimano could quieten down the clacking noise. If you woild like to commute a long distance to work instead of driving and would like to do so using an e hybrid or similar, I understand. Learn what to expect. Maybe in a next generation they can implement an optional solution analog to what we're already seeing f bicycle chains. BT-E8036, SHIMANO STEPS - Integrated Type Battery for Down Tube - 630 Wh. - A little more overrun on technical climbs would be swell On the trail the tone of the clack is a little deeper than the EP8 drive unit, but the cause is the same. I haven't had the privelage to ride any bosch equiped bikes or other shimano bikes but this thing is so quiet I think it would be hard to find another ebike motor that is more silent. This simple concept improves the ride quality in all situations, eliminating the lurch forward and wasted energy as the bike accelerates while also continuing to provide additional assistance when the trail gets tougher and the rider works harder. Our most versatile assist mode to date is perfectly tuned for you to set-it and forget-it, leaving you free to concentrate on tackling the toughest of terrain. IMO Shimano bikes are good,but they are 2 steps down compared to Specialized and Bosch. Eco set to low and all climbing done slowly in good dry conditions with a light fit rider and low rolling resistance tyres?
Ophiuchus Natal Chart Calculator, Clomid Pregnancy Calculator, Bombers Fastpitch Shirts, Articles S