Benbrook Police Department. Electric Department; Fire; Library; Municipal Court; Parks and Recreation; Police; Public Works; Business. All rights reserved (About Us). Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. Newton denied harassing any city employees. Deanna Taylor is one of those people. OPEN GOV US GOV US. I only worked for him for two hours. I take that job and responsibility very seriously. Fort Worth Assistant Police Chief Robert Alldredge told city council members there were . The city of Tarrant does not have a police chief or a fire chief at this time. The mayor in April fired Tarrant Fire Chief Jason Rickels, a month after Rickels was arrested in Georgia on assault and other charges after he allegedly pulled a gun on an Atlanta realtor and her photographer at a property he owns there. George confirmed that changes to the department made it so that one officer would be in charge of the internal affairs department, rather than a previous system that would tap an available detective or lieutenant to handle complaints. During his time as mayor, the city has started a low-cost vet clinic, offered food giveaways, and started a new program to help people purchase homes in Tarrant with specialty loans through Regions Bank. The white 25-year-old said she supports Newton because he has made an attempt to bring needed youth activities to the city, and has helped the police department make great strides. Ill take a voice stress analysist and a polygraph with the person of his (Newtons) choosing. . That has done a tremendous amount of damage to the city, because no one has had their eye on the future.. The alleged assault occurred in November after he was elected mayor. Joel Kimbrough, who is white, has lived in Tarrant his whole life and owns a printing business there. Although the numbers dont tell a damning tale, Newton said, Tarrant historically has had a problem.. My election kind of represented a transition from the old guard to the new, Newton told The Daily Beast. 4 Beds. That is all that was said. Newton turned himself into the Jefferson County Jail on Wednesday and was released a short time later after posting a $1,000 bond. The alleged assault happened on Election Day Nov. 3, 2020 when the two got into a verbal dispute. Those figures are only slightly higher than the 53 percent of the population Black folks make up, according to recent census records. Two different standards for two different people, he said. The former police chief alleged that Newton closed a door in the mayors office on his arm, but the Tarrant mayor called the allegations false. Oh yes, there's trouble, right here in Tarrant City, with a capital "T" that rhymes with "C" that stands for (racist) Conspiracy. Copyright All rights reserved. Tarrant Mayor Wayman Newton said he plans to be exonerated of a misdemeanor assault charge lodged against him by the citys former police chief. According to AL.com, Rickels, who is white, was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and possession of a gun after he allegedly pulled a gun on a Black realtor and photographer at a home he owned in Roswell, Georgia. Electric Department; Fire; Library; Municipal Court; Parks and Recreation; Police; Public Works; Business. It all came to a head this past week when the former police chief Dennis Reno filed assault charges against Mayor Wayman Newton from an argument that happened on November 3, 2020. That has done a tremendous amount of damage to the city, because no one has had their eye on the future.. A silver 2005 Subaru Outback matching the description of Tarrant's vehicle was seen by a police unit, and a pursuit was initiated at 1:57 pm. Ever since Newton, 40, took office after winning his election in Tarrant, Alabamapopulation 7,000by nearly 40 percentage points last year, a small minority of mostly white residents and city leaders have had it out for him, he told The Daily Beast. But when he stood up in that desk and said that to me, I knew good and well right then I wasnt going to throw a 42-year career away off somebody like him. This is not true, and I fully expect to be exonerated., Asked for a response to the mayors statement, Reno last year said, I only worked for him for two hours. Newton called the assault chargein connection with an argument that happened seven months agoa stunt, while Reno has claimed Newton is only releasing part of the footage. Reminds me of Adolf Hitler., Bryant has served as a councilman for 12 years, and said hes lived in Tarrant for most of his life. Tarrant, Alabama, has been gripped by a saga that some say reflects the rise of a ruthless politician and others see as the last gasp of a white power structure that wont let go. Laura Horton, 73, who served on the city council for 20 years before losing her re-election bid in 2020, echoed Bryants assessment of Newton. Tue, Mar 14 . Phone: 817-249-1610. There were no black officers, said Newton. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. The former police chief of Tarrant, Dennis Reno, was unwilling to stop the discriminatory practice of not hiring African American officers, which under my administration is unacceptable, said Newton. In an interview with The Daily Beast, Bryant pushed back against any problems with race that the city and police department may have faced in the past. Reno on Friday said Newton released only part of the video. He also is a graduate of the FBI National Academy and consulted with the U.S. Department of State in training police forces in Afghanistan. Certainly, were glad to have him join us, Newton said. As for his shoulder, he said he might have to have surgery but that doctors are doing all they can to prevent that from happening. Im fairly certain that once people had an opportunity to look at these videos, theyre going to know the truth., Again, Im not above the law and so this is a criminal matter and its going to work its way through the courts,' he said. TARRANT, Ala. (WBRC) - Tarrant's Police Chief is reacting to Councilman Tommy Bryant's arrest after he said he witnessed Bryant punching Mayor Wayman Newton. At a certain point, I had to remind him that I was the mayor and kicked him out of my office, he told The Daily Beast. Bryant wondered why Newton wasnt putting himself on leave given the fact that he fired Rickels for his charge. Its people like him that every time theyre wrong they start playing the race card, Reno added. Reno did not respond to repeated requests for comment for this story. And so, unfortunately, its going to probably be another three years, but I feel certain that in 2024, that the citizens are going to clean house and we will actually have a council that is representative of the city and that wants to move the city forward.. I take that job and responsibility very seriously. He said four of those officers are Black, and that all were hired after Reno resigned from his position as chief of police on Jan. 1. Clara Palmore and her husband were also there to support Newton. Were not in the 50s anymore. All Current Year LODDs Newton, elected in 2020 as the citys first Black mayor, is charged with third-degree assault of former Chief Dennis Reno. Video of alleged "assault" on former Tarrant Police chief, Newton surrendered to authorities Wednesday after retired Chief Dennis Reno swore out a warrant, Buy newspaper front pages, posters and more. This is the official Facebook page for the Tarrant Police Department located within Jefferson County, Alabama.. Chief Dennis Reno The police department is short two officers, Newton said. Newton, an attorney and Tarrants first Black mayor, is accused of slamming a door on Reno, causing an injury to Renos shoulder that may require surgery. We didnt see anything happen.'. He said he cant comment on the case because of ongoing litigation. At a certain point, I had to remind him that I was the mayor and kicked him out of my office, he told The Daily Beast. Bryant said he isnt opposed to changes in the city, but believes Newton is going about things in an aggressive way. In response to the alleged instance of misconduct that Bryant described, in which he said Newton challenged him to a fight, Newton said, Im a 40-year-old Black man with an Ivy League degree and I graduated from a top-10 law school. But its the people that hold office in Tarrant thats keeping him from moving forward., She called out the longest-serving councilman, Tommy Bryant, in particular. North Texas Interoperable Radio Network (NTIRN) Project 25 Phase II. Tarrant Mayor Wayman Newton told a news conference that former chief Dennis Reno had a discriminatory practice of refusing to hire African Americans as police officers and wouldnt change it. City Manager Trey Yelverton has appointed Col. Al Jones, a 25-year veteran of the Baltimore County Police Department, as the City of Arlington's new police chief. He even claimed that he wore a bulletproof vest to council meetings a few times because he feared for his safety. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (each updated 1/26/2023). Newton surrendered to authorities Wednesday after retired Chief Dennis Reno swore out a warrant on Newton for third-degree assault. He called himself the CEO of the city, and said Bryant and others have unfortunately been put off by the new structure hes installed. All rights reserved (About Us). He said four of those officers are Black, and that all were hired after Reno resigned from his position as chief of police on Jan. 1. He does not plan to resign as mayor even though he fired the former fire chief after he was arrested on an assault charge because he said his own charge is a misdemeanor, and the charge against the former fire chief involved felony charges and a firearm. TARRANT, Ala. (WIAT) Wayman Newton, the mayor of Tarrant, was charged with misdemeanor assault Wednesday. 2023 Advance Local Media LLC. She argued that it was clear from watching embarrassing city council meetings every week that he has some enemies. I do not represent the Mayor, Councilor Bryant or any other employee in its individual capacity, he said. He said Reno told him he hadnt hired Black officers because they werent qualified, and couldnt be trusted to police their own. We would have friends and family that wouldnt come to Tarrant because they were known for it, Taylor said. Copyright All rights reserved. He called the charges a political stunt to smear his name. The alleged assault happened on Election Day Nov. 3, 2020, when the two got into a verbal dispute. At that time, my lieutenant for the police department was in ICU with COVID and I told him I would need a little bit more time to get that information because all of the files was on the lieutenants computer and I said, I dont have access to his computer. He jumps up from his desk and I will tell you exactly what he said. So, the guy didnt know what he was talking about.. And to quote him exactly is, I dont hire black officers because black officers dont like to police their own.. When Tarrant returned to his car, Aziz threw the shotgun at it. For example, he said, the firing of Rickels is something that he didnt need approval for. This type of conduct will not be tolerated, and employees that choose to engage in such behavior will be dealt with swiftly and severely.. And thats what Ive been doing, he said. In an interview, the mayor denied ever slamming the door on Renos arm. When he was released, the young mayor posted security-camera videos on Facebook that appear to show Reno leaving the mayors office and calmly closing the door on his way out. The chief walked away like nothing happened,' she said. Newton was also acquitted on a harassment charge obtained by city council member . Tarrant Mayor Wayman Newton (Photo by Greg Garrison/AL.com). Reno said he goes to physical therapy twice a week because of the injury and may have to undergo surgery. Since becoming mayor, Newton has vowed to clean up the city but he said he has faced pushback from the council, former community members as well as former city employees. Other videos, apparently from the next day, show him using the left arm he allegedly injured to carry files and climb out of his pickup truck. He never gave me a chance, he told AL.com of the mayor, adding that he had told Newton, I dont hire off race, I hire off qualifications.. Im glad that we can finally put that behind me.. Tarrant resident Waynette Bonham said things seemed to be changing for the better under Newton. According to charging documents, Bryant said the incident happened July 19, 2021, at Tarrant City Hall following a council meeting. In fact, I take those obstacles and I take their attempts to discredit me as motivation to keep going forward.. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. Trouble continues brewing among Tarrant city officials. The Black 41-year-old claimed the mayor has also made other positive changes in the city, such as starting a farmers market, providing greater access to the community center, and feeding the poorest city residents. Newton, the citys first Black Mayor, praised Majors exemplary record of service. We have lived in the past, he said. The white 25-year-old said she supports Newton because he has made an attempt to bring needed youth activities to the city, and has helped the police department make great strides. Davis was one of about a dozen residents at City Hall Thursday to support the mayor. He said Reno told him he hadnt hired Black officers because they werent qualified, and couldnt be trusted to police their own. He never gave me a chance.', Reno said he told Newton during the only conversation they had about the racial makeup of the police force was, I dont hire off race, I hire off qualifications.. Type: Police Departments Population Served: 8148 Newton was booked into the Jefferson County Jail in Bessemer at 4:09 p.m. Wednesday with bond set at $1,000. Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. I do not represent the Mayor, Councilor Bryant or any other employee in its individual capacity, he said. Im more than qualified to be the mayor of Tarrant. Those figures are only slightly higher than the 53 percent of the population Black folks make up, according to recent census records. Laura Horton, 73, who served on the city council for 20 years before losing her re-election bid in 2020, echoed Bryants assessment of Newton. He has been on workmans comp since the injury. This is not true, and I fully expect to be exonerated., Asked for a response to the mayors statement, Reno said, I only worked for him for two hours. There was a verbal disagreement about this between myself and Mr. Reno in my office on November 3, 2020, in which Mr. Reno is alleging that I slammed his arm in a door. Meanwhile, white drivers made up about 30 percent of stops in 2019, and 27 percent of stops in 2020, numbers that are a bit lower than their 34 percent share of the population. dustin blake wood in texas tarrant county 11/12/1985 at 12:00. notice: mugshots.com is a news organization. Newton surrendered to authorities Wednesday after retired Chief Dennis Reno swore out a warrant on Newton for third-degree assault. Police Department | Mansfield, TX Careers Records & Reports Jail Contact Us Animal Care & Control Compliments/ Complaints Stay Connected Police Newsroom & Events Police Events City Events March 2023 There are no published events in current month. Business . View All Newton, he said, has been a boon to the city because he recognizes its potential. Newton, a lawyer who was elected to office last year, was booked in the Jefferson County Jail for 20 minutes Wednesday. $367,370 Last Sold Price. Check the . Newton, a lawyer who was elected to office last year, was booked in the Jefferson County Jail for 20 minutes Wednesday. Since Reno left the force, he said around 12 officers have left the department. 4 were here. For example, he said, the firing of Rickels is something that he didnt need approval for. But also partly due to a concerted effort between Dennis Reno, and city council members, and former city employees trying to get them to actually leave the city to hurt the city and to ultimately hurt my administration, Newton said. And Mayor Newton is trying to correct the things that had been so bad about the city of Tarrant from the previous administrationlike not having Black officers.. Coming on the heels of a year of racial justice protests, literal dismantling of Confederate monuments, and calls for police reform, the bizarre, small-town, Deep South saga either reflects the rise of a ruthless politician one rival likened to Adolf Hitler, or the last gasp of a white power structure that wont let go. Newton said that is partly due to better-paying opportunities and partly due to continued angst brought on by the former police chief. Chief Perry Tarranthas has 34 years of law enforcement experience and is a retired captain with the Tucson Police Department and a past assistant chief of the Seattle Police Department. Tarrant Police Department 2593 Commerce Cir Tarrant, AL 35217 205-849-2811 The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office is the police department that serves the area, where Mike Hale is the sheriff. In an ever-evolving city and police department, Deputy Chief Criado embraces new challenges and change. If your child will play baseball or softball this spring, youll need to stock up on appropriate clothing and equipment. Reno left the chiefs job shortly after and officially retired Jan. 1, 2021, after 42 years in law enforcement. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (each updated 1/26/2023). The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. Former Tarrant Police Chief responds to Mayors claims of discriminatory hiring practices, Obituary: Myra Carroll (August 22, 1937 February 23, 2023), Obituary: Sherry Webster Zorn (August 21, 1948 February 22, 2023), Obituary: Joy Silvey (August 2, 1932 February 26, 2023), Obituary: Grace Mixon (March 6, 1935 February 25, 2023), Obituary: Donald Leo Taylor (Sept. 13, 1938 Feb. 23, 2023) and Pamela Taylor (Nov. 5, 1943 Feb. 23, 2023), Trussville Police respond to 2 fights at Hewitt-Trussville High School today, Jasper man dies after single-vehicle collision in Hoover, Alabama State Chapter Receives NWTF Acreage Award, Savvy Senior: How to protect seniors from scam calls, Whats really happening in the new Tarrant, WATCH: Tarrant Mayor Wayman Newton addresses his assault charge, Birmingham TV stations chip in, allowing ABC 33/40 employees to attend anchors funeral, Birmingham-Southern College: A solid investment for Alabama, 65-year-old pedestrian dies after dog attack in McDonalds Chapel Community. Ever since Newton, 40, took office after winning his election in Tarrant, Alabamapopulation 7,000by nearly 40 percentage points last year, a small minority of mostly white residents and city leaders have had it out for him, he told The Daily Beast. Asked why he went all the way to the Bessemer Cutoff to surrender, Newton said, It was evident that this is a political stunt, and it was made known to me that the media was at the Birmingham location.. The chief accused Newton, an attorney, of slamming a door on Reno, causing an injury to Renos shoulder. Newman released video footage of the alleged assault. Hes lying, Reno said of the mayor. The councilman went on to say longtime city employees were in a hostile situation under Newtons leadership, and accused the mayor of harassing multiple employees, including himself. The mayor in April fired Tarrant Fire Chief Jason Rickels, a month after Rickels was arrested in Georgia on assault and other charges after he allegedly pulled a gun on an Atlanta realtor and. Newton said he expects the charge against him to be dropped after video of the incident is handed over to the District Attorneys Office. I hope it dont offend you. The incident was caught on camera. 1133 East Lake Blvd Tarrant, AL 35217 (205) 849-2800 . The alleged assault happened on Election Day Nov. 3, 2020 when the two got into a verbal dispute. 2023 Benbrook Business & Community Showcase (BBCS) View All . Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (each updated 1/26/2023). Ft Worth Tarrant County Texas Arrests, Warrants & Most Wanted. Im more than qualified to be the mayor of Tarrant. Contact the City; Licenses; I Want To. TCOLE Licensing. He said too many longtime residents of the city long for a version back in the 60s and 70s, when it was a different place. Pembroke Pines Police Department. Get our top stories in your inbox every day. He is a dictatorial person, Bryant, 76, told The Daily Beast of Newton. Major has been in law enforcement for more than 30 years, beginning his career with the Georgia Department of Corrections. Newton, who has called a 10 a.m. press conference at Tarrant City Hall, on Thursday released this statement: The former Police Chief of Tarrant, Dennis Reno, was unwilling to stop the discriminatory practice of not hiring African American officers, which under my administration is unacceptable., There was a verbal disagreement about this between myself and Mr. Reno in my office on November 3, 2020 in which Mr. Reno is alleging that I slammed his arm in a door. He said he hopes to succeed in that endeavor. At a press conference held about his arrest, Newton said Reno was was unwilling to stop the discriminatory practice of not hiring African American officers, which under my administration is unacceptable., There was a verbal disagreement about this between myself and Mr. Reno in my office on November 3, 2020, in which Mr. Reno is alleging that I slammed his arm in a door, Newton said. Tarrant resident Waynette Bonham said things seemed to be changing for the better under Newton. by Were going to continue to rebuild the city. He said they are two police officers and two firefighters short but said it is not hindering services to the city. Citations. He said he went to the jail in Bessemer because he heard that the media was awaiting his arrival at the Birmingham Jail. Although the numbers dont tell a damning tale, Newton said, Tarrant historically has had a problem.. We are committed to making our community a safe place to live, work, and visit. My grandmother always used to say, The more things change, the more they stay the same, and unfortunately were starting to see the ugly head of the old Tarrant reared itself., Newton said there were no Black officers on the force when he took office.
Trabajos De Limpieza Cash, Living In Wildwood, Nj Year Round, Yummy Tummy Food Truck, Articles T