"I am extremely thankful and honored that President Thomas Hudson and Vice President and Director of Athletics Ashley Robinson saw fit for me to remain at the helm of the JSU women's basketball program," Reed said in a school release Friday. HBCUs have had great head coaches in the past and there are many good ones around in the present, particularly given what they have to work with. Coach Reed and her staff have done a great job recruiting and I expect her to continue to raise the bar.The 2019-20 JSU womens basketball season will go down in program history as one of the most dominant. LSU coach Kim Mulkey said Tomekia Reed wont be at Jackson State long if they dont pay her. The site navigation utilizes arrow, enter, escape, and space bar key commands. Kim Mulkey, the fiery LSU coach who'd won titles at Baylor, nearly discarded her golden jacket and brought disbelieving hands to her blonde-haired head. But we got to jump on board, we got to get in that thing with them. With the Lady Tigers down 15, Reed got T'd up. LSU's Kim Mulkey has a running diatribe with the referees. We have to fight for our conference, Reed said. In making the program's second straight appearance in the NCAA Tournament, and the first as a #14 seed, Jackson State led in the fourth quarter in nearly achieving an historic tournament win over #3 LSU. She served as the top assistant, worked with post players, and served as the teams academic liaison. While there, she served as the top assistant also worked with post players at JSU and served as the teams academic liaison. A native of Jackson, Miss., Reed was Jackson States womens basketball recruiting coordinator from 2006-2009. Coach Tomekia Reed is a native of Jackson, Mississippi, and a 1999 graduate of Murrah High School. SLAM: What are those levels youre addressing? I don't know what y'all say but all I feel is a loss. Especially not early in the third quarter on Saturday in Baton Rouge, when third-seeded LSU and its national champion coach led by 17. Reed and her brother were. Mulkeys comments rubbed some people the wrong way as she knew they would if she said them. And when the change starts, it's going to go across the board. With three consecutive Southwestern Athletic Conference championships, the Lady Tigers are off to a 3-0 start in SWAC play this season. All Rights Reserved |, Lee E. Williams Athletics and Assembly Center, Prospective Student-Athlete Questionnaire, Walter Payton Health and Recreation Center, Walter Payton Center Membership Application, Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium Map. Saturdays 83-77 win over the SWAC champions marked the second time in as many seasons as shes had to go through JSU to get to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Mississippi State Personnel Board. So to be able to do this in my community, it means a lot to me. "I am thankful for AD Robinson's commitment to our program and we will have several more outstanding seasons to come.". I want my son, Carlon Reed, to understand his life is valuable, Reed said. That should not change who you are, and how you carry yourself. Head WBB Coach, Jackson State University . It was at Hinds that Reed led the Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges (MACJC) in rebounds per game and was also second in the conference in scoring. But if anybody could take anything away from it, it's that we can and we will. And most of the end? But, it's the exact opposite of the kind of respect Reed said she wanted to bring to Jackson State and HBCUs as a whole after the game. We have to make a strong statement in the preseason next year. "That fueled us," Crump said. In four seasons as JSUs head coach, Tomekia Reed has led JSU women's basketball to the top of the Southwestern Athletic Conference. "Hey, Kim Mulkey got it coming baby!" Jackson State had never won a March Madness game. 3-seeded LSU in the first round of the 2022 NCAA Tournament by ignoring it and managing the game . Reed comes to JSU after a successful three-year stint at Hinds Community College. She said she didn't know when it would happen, but after the recent death of her father, she's glad it. Williams responded that day. The comment was meant as a feel-good sign of respect. Its something I prayed for. The Lady Tigers won 21 straight. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The Lady Tigers opened conference play with a 12-0 start, which is the program best. University of Colorado football coach Deion Sanders is facing backlash over comments he made about recruiting players. Reed, who'd recruited her out of high school, texted her, day after day; Williams her name at the time didn't respond. Copyright 2023 SLAM Media Inc. SLAM, SLAMTV, SLAM MEDIA and the SLAM logo are registered 9 once. "Obviously we didn't win. The announcement was made Monday. She replaced Micheryln Smith, who previously served the college in the same role for eight seasons from 2007-2008 to 2014-2015. Mississippi State Personnel Board. Sanders may be more . Copyright 2023, Jackson State University Athletics. Jackson State lost to Prairie View 69-65 at the William Nicks Building on Saturday. During that time, the Lady Tigers claimed the SWAC regular-season championship (2007), made WNIT appearances in 2006 and 2007, and won the SWAC tournament championship in 2008, making it the program's fourth NCAA Tournament appearance. Reed led Hinds CC to the NJCAA Region 23 title game in 2017. LSU coach Kim Mulkey spoke the truth on JSUs rising coaching star, HBCU Gameday x Protect Your Skull Player of the Year, Saturdays 83-77 win over the SWAC champions marked the second time in as many seasons as shes had to go through JSU. Reed began her coaching career at South Georgia Technical College, where she served as assistant womens basketball coach for three seasons. ", "She has grown tremendously," Reed said. "I said, you ain't going to be at Jackson State long if they don't pay you," Mulkey said"And I'm not her agent, I'm not her best friend, I just know talent and I respect people from afar on a job well done. All of the things that he prayed for and all of the things that he spoke for., REED SCOWL DRAWS TECHNICAL FOULSTomekia Reed's scowls draw technical fouls and often help Jackson State women's basketball. 22.5k Followers, 2,973 Following, 848 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Tomekia Reed (@coachtomekiareed) coachtomekiareed. Brent has led Jackson State to a 21-18 record in conference play the past two seasons. Design Your Ideal Work Environment & Work Day. Lee made a deep 3-pointer and the basket went viral and the moment brought Jackson State its first ESPY in school history. Jackson State head coach Tomekia Reed was already an accomplished head coach before LSU's Kim Mulkey gave her what some felt was a back-handed comment after nearly beating her squad this March. Her coaching career began in 04 at South Georgia Technical College, where she served as an assistant coach and recruiter for three seasons. Jackson State womens basketball coach Tomekia Reed coaches the game with passion and attitude. ", More:Jackson State football will play in 2021 Orange Blossom Classic in Miami, More:Jackson State men's basketball manager 'Snacks' wins ESPY. And then, in 2019, with childcare support from her mother and grandmother, Williams, along with Reed, set out to build the Lady Tigers into one of the best mid-major programs in women's basketball. Reed comes to Ruston after spending the past three years at Southern Miss, one at UL-Lafayette, three at Jackson State and two at South Georgia Technical College. She'd envisioned the scene in the locker room, taking her LSU jersey off for the final time, tears soaking everything. In the end, her Tigers survived, 83-77. She cited personal reasons. I tell our recruits all the time, a fancy building is not going to pat you on the back when youre not feeling good. Current Role & Salary Review. Up and Down arrows will open main level menus and toggle through sub tier links. TR: For me, its just really important to stay classy, stay professional, be a model and just to show we can do this. Our conference. Reed led Hinds CC to the NJCAA Region 23 title game in 2017. Jackson State women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed coaches the game with passion and attitude. Reed wrote. The 2007-08 JSU squad captured the SWAC Tournament championship and made an appearance in the NCAA Tournament. It doesnt matter what people say about us, it doesnt matter, the respect that we dont get. We. After nearly upsetting LSU in a first-round NCAA Tournament game on March 19, 2022, Coach Reed was asked what her message to her team was following the tough loss: "Honestly, my message after today's game was, we have to continue to fight for our institution. Founded, monitored, and run by college coaches. And it shouldnt change seeing yourself on a higher platform. Other responsibilities included strength and conditioning liaison, player development, community service coordinator, and summer basketball camp coordinator. I think this has opened an opportunity for us to have that national attention. The Blue and White finished conference play with a 16-2 mark which tied the program record. If Im never afforded the opportunity to get to a higher platformits okay. And Saturday she nearly added a monumental 14-3 upset to that resume after leading LSU by double-digits.After the game, Reed said all the right things about JSU, the SWAC and HBCUs as her team made fans of all three entities proud on Saturday afternoon. She's helped make me a better person. I just wanted to put it out there, I had no idea it was going to reach as many people as it did. A raucous crowd at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center fell silent. We have to fight for our institution. Jackson State University is pleased to announce a four-year contract extension for head womens basketball coach Tomekia Reed. I want to help you get through this. Ricky Rubio Feels Back to Normal After Comeback Game, Stephen Curry on His Return to Play and Regaining His Rhythm, REPORT: Miami Interested in Buying Out Jae Crowder, Drexel Guard Keishana Washington is One of the Coldest Scorers in the CountryAnd Shes Just Getting Started, How the NBA G League is at the Forefront of Basketball Innovation, from Player Development to Testing New Rules, Frank Jackson on His NBA Journey, Proving Himself and Getting to Play for the City He Calls Home, How Eric Singletary and Tamika Dudley Are Building a Powerful Hoops Culture At Sidwell Friends, Otis Hughley Jr is Ready to Carry on Alabama A&Ms Legacy as Head Coach, Stony Brook HC Ashley Langford is Building a Successful Program and Empowering Players for Life After Ball. How they taught her the importance of being proud of being Black and dressing well, along with other life lessons. Tomekia Reed always knew coaching at Jackson State was a goal she wanted to achieve. Tomekia Reed. I think our ability to have won as many championships as weve won here at Jackson Statein three years weve won three championshipsso I think I had ears for the platform at this point. TOMEKIA REED MEETS EMMITT SMITH Jackson State women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed meets Pro Football Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith Reed knows that Black people have created immense. To her mother taking her to practice and games, or just laughing. But then the Lady Tigers, led by Tomekia Reed, their inspirational coach, and by Ameshya Williams-Holliday, their star player who doubles as a wife and mother, nearly did the unthinkable. Reed knows what it takes to lead a program to success, both as a player and a coach. 22.5K followers. Often, her feelings lay bare in front of fans, friends, and player. The Tigers' athletic department described his extension as a "multi-year" deal. All rights reserved. However, Reed spoke with passion aboutof the importance of fighting to make things better at JSU. Save on iPhone 14 Pro and more Apple products. All rights reserved. 0:00 0:20 Jackson State has extended the contacts of women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed and men's basketball coach Wayne Brent. SLAMhas partnered with theBlack Coaches Associationon a content series that will spotlight Black coaches from every level. Neither had its conference, nor any No. She has guided JSU to four consecutive berths in the SWAC Tournament semifinals, three straight berths in the conference tournament finals, three straight SWAC regular-season titles, and two straight SWAC tournament titles and NCAA appearances. "As a young lady, as a woman, as a wife, as a mother. They earned plenty of it Saturday, even if they didn't quite earn history. COACH Tomekia Reed (96-45 in fifth season at Jackson State and overall) UAPB POS. We have to continue to fight for our culture. Reed also had assistant coaching stops at Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, and New Orleans, serving as recruiting coordinator at each school during her respective stints. Reed believes we are on the right track, and if King were alive today, he would be fairly impressed and happy with where African Americans are positioned today, compared to his liftetime. The turning point? Get to know Jackson State women's basketball's Dayzsha Rogan. Texas would defeat JSU 75-58 on Dec. 14 at the Mississippi Coliseum. "I don't care," Reed told her. They'd talked about the "rise of the underdog." We have to continue to fight for our culture. There was Reed, stalking the sidelines as the architect, the personable and empathetic recruiter, who'd taken the job in 2018 with no prior Division I head-coaching experience. Jackson State is turning to a Jackson native to lead its women's basketball program. Theres an undeniable truth behind the words spoken by Jackson States womens basketball head coach, Tomekia Reed. Saturday's game was a prime example of where she can take a program. And she wasnt wrong. But the message she gave to her team after they came closer than any other JSU team to advancing in the NCAA Tournament was to fight for HBCU culture, not run away from it. In a cauldron of noise and intensity, LSU responded with an 11-0 run of its own. I am extremely thankful and honored that President Thomas Hudson and Vice President and Director of Athletics Ashley Robinson saw fit for me to remain at the helm of the JSU womens basketball program, Reed said. She was chosen as an All-State first-team selection. TR: Recruiting. Football is always respected. Reed had screamed when brackets were released. Hinds CC won a combined 47 games under Reed, including consecutive winning seasons in 2016-17 and 2017-18. He does a lot of social media marketing for myself and our program and for other sports as well. Jackson State has extended the contacts of women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed and men's basketball coachWayne Brent. Re-Engaging in Education for All to Progress, 662 S. President Street, Jackson, MS 39201, Blackboard Web Community Manager Privacy Policy (Updated). 14 seed for Jackson State (23-7) is the program's highest since 1983 when there were only 36 teams. State Super Of Public Education. She grew up in Jackson. And that program's rise isn't finished. Jackson State had three players on the all-conference team, including Ameshya Williams, who was the SWAC Defensive Player of the Year. Enter and space open menus and escape closes them as well. During its 27 NCAA Tournament appearances, LSU (26-5) has only. Brent, a former longtime high school coach and Clarion Ledger Metro Coach of the Year, made the decision to put team manager Thomas "Snacks" Lee late in a game on senior night. Im extremely tough with my teams as a coach and, you know, have that basketball IQ to be able to teach and lead. But it is obvious that Reed's star is on the rise, and true to Mulkey's words, her pay will have to rise as well.
Angelo Pietro Sesame Miso Dressing Recipe, Disney Magical World 2 Golden Honey, You Are My Spring Have A Happy Ending, Articles T